Today’s news:

Burglar grab

A would-be thief was caught in the act of canvassing a Grand Street apartment last week, officials said.

Police said that the suspect, who was not identified, was found inside the building near Havemeyer Street at about 10:30 p.m. on September 16.

He was caught with a crowbar, a screwdriver and a pair of gloves -- tools for the burglary trade.

Cops took the man into custody without incident, charging him with burglary and criminal trespass.

A man was punched in the nose and robbed of his phone when a walk along Driggs Avenue turned unexpectedly violent.

Police said that the victim was walking towards South 2nd Street at 12:30 a.m. on September 15 when the suspect jumped him.

The victim said that he suffered a broken nose during the attack.

The thief was nabbed just a few blocks away with the victim’s cell phone iPod Nano, cash and credit cards, police said.

Cops have connected two recent robberies in Greenpoint to the same man.

As they search all over for the suspect, police said that the thief, a 200-pound black male between 25 and 30 years old, approached a 31-year-old man on Wythe Avenue and North 9th Street at 10 p.m. on May 11 with a friend and forced the victim to withdraw money from an ATM for them.

Nearly two weeks later the thieves struck again, this time grabbing a 21-year-old at the corner of North 12th Street and Kent Avenue and forcing him to empty out his bank account at a local ATM.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

A 28-year-old woman was arrested last week after she allegedly responded to a rebuke with her fists.

Police said that Krista DeLuca was arrested for assault, menacing and harassment in connection with the September 5 attack insidea store at Grand Street.

DeLuca was inside the store, located near Manhattan Avenue, with two male companions at about midnight when she allegedly got into an argument with another customer.

When the store clerk asked her to leave, she did so. But she quickly turned around and ran back when she heard the man she had argued with get one last disparaging comment in, police alleged.

Police alleged that DeLuca and her friends showed no mercy as they beat and kicked the victim. They even chased him out into the street, where the assault continued, police alleged.

The victim suffered a fractured wrist as a result, officials said.

A 20-year-old man was killed in a shooting outside the Bushwick Houses on Moore Street.

Cops from the 90th Precinct said that they were responding to a call of a male shot at 140 Moore Street at 3:57 a.m. on September 3 when they found Matthew Campbell suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Campbell was rushed to Woodhull Hospital where he died of his injuries an hour later.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding the shooting to come forward.

Calls can be made to the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group