Strong demand for the swine flu vaccine is straining supplies, according to the city Health Department.
The agency says New Yorkers have turned out in “record numbers” for flu shots tailored to swine flu, also known as H1N1 influenza.
As a result, the department has issued a “modified priority list” of persons currently eligible to receive the vaccine. It includes children between six months and 18 years of age, adults 65 or older, pregnant women, health care workers who have direct contact with patients in the categories above, and caregivers of children less than six months old. Also included are people 19 through 64 years of age who have underlying health conditions that increase the risk of complications from influenza. These conditions include diabetes, lung disease, asthma, heart disease, kidney disease, sickle cell anemia, weakened immune system, seizure, neuromuscular, and other disorders that may cause breathing problems.
“Some additional supplies of vaccine are expected during November,” said city Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley. “But the demand may continue to exceed the supply. The Health Department is taking steps to ensure that the available vaccine is administered to people at high risk for developing severe illness or complications from influenza. These people are either vulnerable to complications from influenza, or likely to infect vulnerable people if they contract influenza themselves. We ask healthy, non-elderly adults who are not health care workers to allow others who are at higher risk to receive vaccine until the vaccine supply increases.”
Health Department figures show that children are being vaccinated in record numbers against H1N1. Adult vaccination rates are currently unavailable.
In other swine flu news, with concerns over H1N1 growing with every day, charlatans and flim flam artists have begun banking on the fear.
Last week, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer put out a widespread warning about scam artists taking advantage of H1N1 fears by advertising fake swine flu remedies online.
Schumer said that “remedies” such as Ionic Silver have no proven effect against the virus.
“It is almost incomprehensible that these companies are using Americans’ fears in a time of national emergency to make a quick buck,” he said.“These companies need to be shut down, and quickly, so that not a single dollar more is spent on these fictitious cures and prevention methods.”
In a letter to the Federal Trade Commission demanding that these Web sites be shut down, Schumer said that these companies may actually cause the H1N1 to spread, since people buying these products won’t get vaccinated against the virus.
The Food and Drug Administration has identified 140 different products making false H1N1 claims being sold online.
On Thursday Nov. 19th, Bootleg Productions, Inc. in association with cable network HBO, will be filming scenes in Park Slope for the new television series “Boardwalk Empire,” loosely based on the historical nonfiction book “Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City” by Nelson Johnson.
The interior scenes will be shot at the Montauk Club, 25 8th Avenue, from approximately 9 a.m. %u2013 12:00 a.m.
The show is set in 1920’s Atlantic City at the dawn of Prohibition, a time of corruption and decadence. According to IMDB.com, the series has a large cast, including Park Slope’s own Steve Buscemi.
According to Community Board 6, affected streets include: both sides of Lincoln Place between 8th Avenue and Plaza Street West; west side of Plaza Street West between St. Johns Place and Lincoln Place; both sides of Eighth Avenue between St. Johns Place and Berkeley Place; and both sides of St. Johns Place between Sixth and Eighth avenues.
The Brooklyn Pride Community Center, in conjunction with the West Village Trans Name Change Clinic, will begin a transgender name change clinic later this year.
The clinic will assist transgender individuals with filling out the paper work to file for a legal name change. This clinic is only for city residents, and is free, but individuals are responsible for filing and publication fees.
The clinic will beheld on Nov. 19, and everythird Thursday, at 6 p.m, at Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street, Room 310.
If you live in Boreum Hill, you’ll want to add this one to your blogroll.
A reader points us to the a new Brooklyn blog, www.boerumhillblog.wordpress.com, which has its pulse on the downtown Brooklyn neighborhood.
The site has recently featured items on local businesses Gumbo and Loretta’s and photos from Halloween and the ING New York City Marathon.
Brooklyn’s varied and stimulating art galleries can be enlightening to visit but difficult to see all at once.
Fear not, Brooklyn art lover.On November 21 and 22, Borough President Marty Markowitz is reviving the second annual smART Brooklyn Gallery Hop, where Brooklynites can board a bus that loops through four different gallery districts from 1 to 5 PM to explore galleries in more than a dozen Brooklyn neighborhoods.
“We all know that Brooklyn is the Creative Capital of New York City, and contributing to that creative canvas are our neighborhood galleries and lively arts scene showcasing the work of emerging Brooklyn artists,” said Markowitz. “Last year’s smART Gallery Hop was a huge success, and again this year there’s no better time to get ‘art smart’ and maybe even find that perfect gift for the art lover on your holiday list!”
Reservations are required, so make them quickly.For more information about participating galleries and the bus loops, visit www.visitbrooklyn.org.
A resolution was recently introduced in the City Council that would better distribute homeless shelters, halfway houses and other social service facilities.
According to Department of Homeless Services data, 35 percent of DHS family and adult shelters are located in Brooklyn and 41 percent o0f DHS adult shelter capacity is in Brooklyn.
Under the resolution, proposed by City Council member Al Vann, transitional housing facilities of the about the same capacity would be distributed in succession by borough.
For example, if transitional housing is identified for 10-20 adults in Brooklyn, the next transitional housing of the same capacity would be located in another borough until all other boroughs have received a facility of that size.
Whether you used to stroll the cherry esplanade, or get down and dirty in the Children’s Garden, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden has been a nexus for borough residents eager to enjoy nature.
With its 100th birthday fast approaching, the institution is currently digging for memories and memorabilia, as part of its effort to mount an exhibition next year to celebrate its centennial.
To that end, throughout the month of November, BBG will be accepting submissions for possible use in the 2010 multimedia exhibition, “100 Years, 100 Stories,” whose goal is to provide an overview of the garden’s history and collections, its achievements over the first century of its existence, and the unique place it holds in the hearts and reminiscences of visitors young and old.
Visitors can submit photos of their sojourns at the garden digitally, with descriptions of the events memorialized, at Flickr, where two BBG Stories groups have been set up.
Photos and memories that date back prior to the year 2000 should be uploaded at www.flickr.com/groups/bbg before2000. More recent photographs and memories should be uploaded at www.flickr.com/groups/bbg 2000topresent.
All photos should be accompanied by text (maximum of 150 words per image) and should be the largest size possible, preferably 300 dpi, according to BBG.
Earlier this month, BBG held two Memory Collection Days, when people with items to share could bring them to the garden for scanning into an archive.
BBG will contact those individuals whose submissions are used for the exhibition.
For further information about the exhibit, log onto www.bbg.org/abo/centennial/.
As of press time, residents in Bensonhurst and Gravesend were still awaiting state Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Peter Grannis’ decision on the Southwest Marine Transfer Station, planned for 1824 Shore Parkway.
The waste transfer facility is one of several planned citywide as part of the Department of Sanitation’s (DOS) Solid Waste Management Plan.
State Assembly member William Colton has been trying to block the citing of the station, but his appeal to halt the facility before a DEC administrative law judge failed so he is appealing it to Grannis.
The transfer station would require the dredging of Gravesend Bay, and Colton said residents against the plan should also write Gov. Paterson expressing their opposition.
To send in tips, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Borough Briefs.
©2009 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.