|Print this story||Permalink|
It’s not exactly the chicken and the egg, but the MTA boss came to Brooklyn last week and answered the borough-wide question: Which comes first – tolls over the East River bridges or more express bus service to Manhattan?
“It’s a package. In terms of the exact timing it’s possible we might start express buses before tolls are implemented, but it’s a package,” said MTA Executive Director and CEO Elliot Sander.
Sander said it would take the MTA about a year to ramp up bus service, which would include route design and purchasing bus equipment.
Installing toll equipment on the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges would take about 18 months, he said.
Certainly both could be instituted within that time frame and bus service could be sooner, he added.
The issue of more express buses to Manhattan is a major sticking point in parts of the borough where subway service is not as accessible.
This includes such neighborhoods as Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Canarsie, Marine Park, Mill basin and Bergen Beach.
Sander, speaking at a Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce morning event at the CUNY New York City College of Technology in Downtown Brooklyn, said the MTA plans to add more express bus service to offset the tolls.
Sander also expressed his support for the recent Ravitch Commission findings to close the MTA’s $1.2 billion operating budget gap and contribute to the agency’s $30 billion 2010-14 capital budget.
Under the plan, motorists would pay $5 to enter Manhattan via the Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Bridges.
The commission estimated that tolling the East River and Harlem River Bridges would generate about $600 million.
Other Ravitch Commission recommendat-ions included raising subway and bus fares 8 percent, and charging employers in the 12 counties within the MTA jurisdiction a new Mobility Tax equal to one-third of one percent of wages ($330 per each $100,000 in payroll).
Sander said that while federal stimulus money would help offset the MTA deficit, it would not be enough to stave off service cuts and fare increases.
These cuts include the proposed elimination of six bus lines and 22 overnight and weekend bus stoppages in the borough.
Sander estimated the MTA could receive upwards of $5 billion in federal aid, but ultimately it is up to the state to find ways to raise more revenue for the agency.
Customer fares cover only about 42 percent of the MTA costs, and Hong Kong and Singapore are the only municipalities that have a mass transit system that pays for itself, said Sander.
“We listen to a lot of people and when we talk of 20-30 percent fare increases and draconian service cuts people get upset, and we hope the electeds in Albany feel that feedback as well,” he added.
A rookie cop was forced to shoot an armed suspect during a tense standoff on the streets of East Flatbush Tuesday, officials said.
Officials said that the officer -- who had only been walking the beat for about six months and had been assigned to the 67th Precinct’s Impact Zone -- was patrolling the area at 2:30 p.m. on February 10 when he approached the 17-year-old suspect near the corner of East 93rd Street and Winthrop Avenue to question him. The teen was reportedly was acting suspicious and was constantly reaching for his waist as if he had a weapon on him, sources said.
As the cop approached, the teen ran off down the street.
During the ensuing chase, the cop finally saw what the teen was hiding: a .357 magnum revolver sticking out from his waistband.
The cop pulled his gun and ordered the man to drop the pistol. As the two clashed, the cop fired off one round, striking the teen in chin and chest, officials said.
The gunman, who was not identified as this paper went to press, was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in serious condition.
The cop was taken to New York Methodist Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.
The gun was recovered at the scene. It was reportedly found under the wounded teen when reinforcements arrived.
The investigation into the shooting was continuing by late Tuesday night. Charges against the gunman were pending. Police sources said that they have several witnesses who saw the shooting, as well as a video tape of the chase.
Sources said that the teen, who police did not identify, had been arrested previously, although those charges were sealed because he was under 16 when they occurred.
Friends told reporters that the teen, who was expected to move to London in the next few weeks, had lived just down the block from where he was shot.
Tuesday’s gunplay took place in the heart of the 67th Precinct’s Impact Zone, where additional cops are dispatched to provide extra enforcement in high crime areas. The East Flatbush Impact Zone is boarded by Remsen Avenue, East 95th Street, Church Avenue and East New York Avenue.
The 67th Precinct, one of the most active precincts in Patrol Borough Brooklyn South, led the city in gun arrests last year, officials said.
©2009 Community Newspaper Group
|Print this story||Permalink|
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.