9ja Villa plays a ‘bad’ tune

The 9ja Villa bar and lounge is giving Old Mill Basin residents a headache — literally.

From midnight to 5 am, the club on Avenue N plays music so loud that it wakes people up, said East 51st Street resident John Vasquez.

“They get going at midnight and they’re blasting music all night long,” he said. “I live across the street and hear it from my house. I’ve lived at this house for 32 years and never had this much trouble in my life.”

“It’s a horror,” agreed his wife, Pat.

The club is noisiest on Friday and Saturday nights when it’s rented out for private parties, explained Lieutenant Robert Haley of the 63rd Precinct.

Last weekend, Haley shut down a party at 3 am after the DJ repeatedly refused to turn down the music.

“You can play it as loud as you want inside the club but you can’t play it as loud outside of the club. It can’t be over 85 decibels, which is typically as loud as a subway car is,” Haley said. “They don’t realize that the neighbors are trying to get some sleep at two in the morning.”

Villa’s owner, Carol Emerenini, and manager, Paul Illo, recently met with neighborhood residents and police officers to address residents’ concerns.

“We have soundproofing on the windows and doors,” Illo said.

But cops believe more work is needed.

“Right now, they only have a thin plexiglass in the windowpanes. They need to maybe put a double set as well as a second door on the inside of the entrance,” Haley said.

Illo insisted that Villa is “trying to be considerate” and willing to install new and heavier doors.

“We are intending to do that soon,” he said. “And we are keeping the music very, very low. The music is not that loud.”

That’s not true, said Mill Basin Civic Association President Paul Curiale.

“Music is blaring at all hours,” he said. “This is not a community-minded business.”

If Villa is serious about installing additional soundproofing measures, the work will take time, Haley noted.

“The stuff is costly and it’s not done overnight,” he said.

Billy Johnson from Canarsie says:
Hey this restaurant is a damn disgrace to the neighborhood. Carol the owner is a real nice woman but her customers are ——s. Loud ignorant fish smelling ——s. If they're not fighting the females are having sex in parked cars on the key food parking lot adjacent to the bar across the street. The drinks are not that great and the food is typical African cuisine! They should tear this place down and put up a Dunkin donuts.
Sept. 10, 2012, 3:20 pm
Billy Johnson from Canarsie says:
This Nigerian restaurant is stupid. The whole freaking concept is dumb. If anyone wants to organize a serious boycott against this hole in the wall we should act fast. If this restaurant stays in the neighborhood it could cause more harm than good. —— gentrification this bar has to go. It's not a people friendly spot either. The crowd is typically negroes and I find that disturbing.
It's not like Espn zone or the 40/40 club. It's African themed and I feel isolated in my own neighborhood. I like to drink I wanna get my balls licked in the key food parking lot too.
Sept. 10, 2012, 3:27 pm
Jessica Ackerman from Mill Basin says:
I totally agree with Bill but I wouldn't say lets bash all Nigerians . I think the problem is the crowd too but it is a bar and she has been so nice to the community. Wait this —— ain't done a damn thing for the community. Down with this Naija Villa
Sept. 10, 2012, 3:51 pm
Edgar Moskowitz from Mill Basin says:
It's not that simple . Certain petitions and forms must be filed with NYC before this restaurant can even be considered for closing. If you need assistance you are better off contacting 311 and stating your complaint. they should be of more assistance to you.i am more than willing to sign a petition and I think It would help to collect statements from the neighbors to help support your claim. My problem is the fighting and loud music I honestly don't have anything that I would say about the place that has not been aforementioned. I could care less about the damn African bit*ch who owns it or how nice she is to the community.
Nov. 15, 2012, 8:49 pm
Shyler Johanson says:
I like this restaurant. I remember getting white girl wasted and sucking dick in the bathroom! So many nice Nigerian guys they did not even make me swallow their manhood. One of the dudes promised to make me his concubine. I enjoy coveting other people's stuff. IDGAF I'm a bad —— I swallow dick n balls Its nice to suck dick. Suck a —— a day it keeps the doctor away!
Nov. 27, 2012, 8:20 pm
Shyler Johanson from NYC chick says:
I do hair. Private escort male/ female. I eat pu$$y. I suck dick and swallow balls at the same damn time! Follow a slut on Instagram and check a —— out on Facebook I promise I do not disappoint . Shyler best head game in NY really tho
Nov. 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
Dennis Metz from Mill Basin says:
I have been working in the area for more than 10 years. This Restaurant is fairly new in the area and has been nothing but EVIL since its been here. Never have I seen such chaos over a short period of time. The fighting, loud music at all hours of the morning and the constant police cars that patrolle the area. It's enough. The best thing to do is start a petition like Edgar Moskowitz mentioned and collect statements. This bull$hit has to stop... Now
Dec. 4, 2012, 8:30 am