Making a racer isn’t as easy as putting a box on wheels, so Monika Wuhrer of Open Source Gallery shared some tips:
1. The most important component are the wheels. “Good wheels make the car,” said Wuhrer. The rear wheels should be larger than the front wheels, and spin straight.
2. Steering is more important than speed. “It’s the ones who manage to get through the course without missing anything that win,” said Wuhrer, Drill a hole in the middle of a 2-by-4, then connecting that to the axle and base with a screw. You’ll steer by pushing with your feet on either side of it.
3. Make sure you’re comfortable. Use cushions and packing from computer boxes. If you crash, you’re going to need it.
4. Always be fashionable. “Some cars may be slower, but they’re super cool because of the ideas that got put into it.”
5. Be able to stop. Use a piece of wood, screwed to the side of the car, that can drag along the ground. — Meredith Deliso
©2010 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.