End of an era: Hinsch’s is closed

Hinsch’s, the legendary luncheonette and Brooklyn institution, whose neon sign, “Happy Days” decor, and greasy-spoon menu have changed little since it first opened in 1948, has served its last egg cream.

The old-school Fifth Avenue soda fountain between 86th and 85th streets is officially closed, according to owner John Logue.

“Basically my lease is up and that’s all,” said Logue, who declined to comment further.

Logue posted a sign announcing the closure on the store’s window on Thursday.

“Our lease is expiring and we decided not to renew it,” the note, signed “The Logue Family,” read. “Current economic conditions, customers changing eating patterns, and our desire to retire early have led us to this decision. We thank all of our customers for your business and appreciate your support and loyalty. We will miss serving you.”

The shop was one of the borough’s last-remaining authentic soda fountains — back when soda jerks were the baristas of their day and the Hula Hoop was the toy of choice.

Landlord Anna Tesoriero said that she was seeking rent of more than $10,000 a month from Logue or a deep-pocketed corporate client to take over the space —up from the $7,500 a month Hinsch’s was paying.

But Tesoriero said the sudden closure of the store surprised her.

“He didn’t tell me anything until he put the sign up,” she said. “He’s been in there so long and he wants to retire and his children are not interested in taking it over.”

Joan from Sheepshead Bay says:
Going to miss them . I used to go on occasion because of the ambiance . Too bad rent had to go so high
Sept. 30, 2011, 10:41 pm
Lauster from Bay Ridge says:
Viper Blood-Suckers! $2500 a month raise in rent, that's 25% people...Hope Anna Tesoriero enjoys having a 99 cent store there...
Oct. 1, 2011, 7:43 am
Ld from Native BR Girl says:
Awful. Spent my childhood there and in the old Once Upon A Sunday( that closed many years back). Bay Ridge is gone- the reasons you wanted to stay in the area have gone with it. Hope the Yuppies enjoy another Halal meat or Starbucks.
Oct. 1, 2011, 8:27 am
Joe M from Bay Ridge says:
Really sad. Used to work there 30 years ago when i was 15. Probably served root beer floats, egg creams and cherry cokes to many of you. I hope Anna Tesoriero has a vacancy for about 6 years so she can regret jacking the rent so high and driving a tradition into extinction.
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:12 am
LBJ from Bay Ridge says:
Anna Tesoriero is like 90-years-old and still incredibly shrewd. That's her prerogative. Tesoriero owns several properties on and around 86th & 5th. She was the one who first brought Roy Rogers to town. It was like the end of the world - and really was the beginning of the end for the Mom & Pop 86th street which we all remember as kids. She also brought Subway, Wells Fargo, Burger King/Popeye's and turned the old Vinny Venditti's Unisex Hair Salon into Dunkin Donuts. As for Hinsch’s, "you don't know what you've got until its gone." Everyone will lament its closure and say what a shame it is but when was the last time anyone was actually in there? One tuna on rye every 5 years isn't going to keep a business open. But I think in this case the owners just waved the white flag and threw in the towel. Times ARE tough and $10k a month to run a little luncheonette from a bygone era is just not a wise move. R.I.P. Hinsch’s, We love you!
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:13 am
Pico says:
Will probably turn into an Arabian boutique
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:36 am
HTJ says:
An Arabian boutique. OK... Yes. Looks like someone has had several cups of clever this morning. Wow.
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:42 am
SK from Bay Ridge says:
Here we go again with the loss of another place that gave Bay Ridge that homey, comfort feel place, family oriented neighborhood that supports small business!
Oct. 1, 2011, 10:18 am
PAC from Bay Ridge says:
That neighborhood has become a dirty run down mess. Not surprised it's closed..just saddened by filth that has over run this great neighborhood!
Oct. 1, 2011, 1:55 pm
Bill P from Bay Ridge says:
First I hope the Logue's enjoys their retirement!
Second I have to agree with another poster, I Hope that
landlord Tesoriero has an extended vacancy, hopefully years, or possibly worse, a dirty 99 cents store, or another "Foreign" establishment that will last a few months, close and so on. Bay Ridge is sadly becoming Beirut/Bejing where the streets are over crowded with soda and bottle pickers and disgusting trash everywhere.
On a Happier note I wish Giacomo's Trattoria on 3rd ave All the Best of Luck and a Long Future in his new home. Excellent food and atmosphere and prices. We should have more of these "American businesses in Bay Ridge!!!!!!!!!
No More Smoking in Public Places Bloomberg enforces
then what about Hookah Smoking in Public Places, is it a different type of Smoke?????? Next Sharia Law will be Enforced or Forced Birka wearing to "All Women of All Races, Religions!!!!!! Sorry for the long retort, I don't usually speak my mind however it's gotten to the point that if we don't act, maybe we bill treated better in Beirut/Bejing.
Oct. 1, 2011, 2:47 pm
Mary from Former Bay Ridge resident says:
Face it, Bay Ridge has turned into the armpit of Brooklyn and has been slowly decling for the past 3 years. I had to come to Bay Ridge this afternoon & it's a filthy mess. I don't know how anyone lives here anymore.
Oct. 1, 2011, 3:44 pm
Mary from Former Bay Ridge resident says:
And if you haven't noticed already, the majority of the residents in the neighborhood are more than likely new to the US. You think they know or appreciate anything like what Hinsch's represented? How can anyone be surprised. And I urge you to call your local counsel to complain about signs that are completely written in a different alphabet. Signs that do not offer even an attempt at an English translation. How do the cops know what the heck it says when responding to a call. Open your eyes people!!
Oct. 1, 2011, 3:50 pm
Me from Bay Ridge says:
OmG went to Hinsch's on my first date. it was the only nostalgia left.
Oct. 1, 2011, 5:30 pm
Tess from Bay Ridge says:
All the Mom and Pop places are being replaced by trash shops. 86th St is dirty. Horrible cheap stores are opening selling cloths from China, Iran, etc.....Banglidish, Pakistan. Birka's are worn from head to toe, even there eyes are covered in black. Very scarry for us Americans especially after 911. This is America....English is not spoken and we dont known who is under those Birka's there are NO American people there anymore. Why not move out? I don't want to live in there culture I want American, food, clothes etc. Tess
Oct. 1, 2011, 5:42 pm
Tess from Bay Ridge says:
Oct. 1, 2011, 5:47 pm
Mitchell from Brooklyn says:
Welcome to the third world. You want to see illegals come down to Costco's. They check your card to enter but the majority of the people snuck into this country and are bring the same dirty filthy ways that turned their own countries into cesspools.
Oct. 1, 2011, 6:02 pm
Tim from Brooklyn says:
Wow! All the racist people above need to learn how to spell before they start criticizing other people for not speaking English. Let's lament the loss of a great place and campaign against profiteering landlords. Leave the racism out of it.
Oct. 1, 2011, 6:26 pm
Adele from uk says:
Well said Tim!!!!
Oct. 1, 2011, 6:41 pm
Brooklynborn from Bay Ridge says:
I grew up in Bay Ridge as a white non-Muslim and LOVE diversity and lots of the new culture. What does not work is a racist approach of leaving new cultures to be isolated and in their own little world and alienated from society. Try to work for an inclusive society where we can exchange ideas and culture. In the meantime, if you want to keep local non-chain businesses, then SUPPORT them and stop complaining. You can't blame "liberals", "hipsters", "yuppies", immigrants (who you refer to as "non-Americans?!
Oct. 1, 2011, 6:49 pm
Simon from Bay Ridge says:
White working class people of Brooklyn: you choose to leave Brooklyn. No one forced/is forcing you to go anywhere. I agree with Brooklynborn! If you don't agree with that then take your narrow-minded brains and get out of here! Have fun in your carburbs.
Oct. 1, 2011, 6:51 pm
Pam from Brooklyn says:
Where are the racist remarks? I just see facts. This is reality. The neighborhood is filty! Open your eyes! I grew up in the neighborhood and I remember how it once was. Come on..get real.
Oct. 1, 2011, 7:08 pm
Pete The Greek from Dyker Hghts says:
I left beautiful Bay Ridge in about 2001, I saw things changing for the worst from the top to the bottom. bloomberger is an ass. I had to say that sorry...My Dad bought our home in 1966 and then i walked 86st and it was so nice...the mom & pop stores and all the happy people walking around anyone could tell it was a great place to live. Christmas time was very special and i wouldnt have traded with anyone in the world, the decorations the smells the smiles the kids with their eyes glowing with happiness. Woolworths the RKO the 68 Pct. The bakery shops the pretzel and chestnut vendors and the salvation army Santas all over. It was like something out of the movie "its a wonderful life" with George Bailey lol...I have not returned in a couple of years now and from what ive read and heard i will prolly not ever go back because i want to remember it the way it was and not what its become.....fare thee well Hinsch’s and family.
Oct. 1, 2011, 7:14 pm
steve from bay ridge says:
All good things come to an end. It a sad state of affairs. But when greed takes over what can you do, people forget the little things that brought happiness to many, last time i checked a 99 cent store didnt do that. Farwell
Oct. 1, 2011, 7:54 pm
Carol from Bay Ridge says:
Yet another piece of my childhood in Bay Ridge is now gone forever. I have wonderful memories of going there after high school for french fries and a coke. Now it was a lunch place while shopping on 86th Street. Now there is officially no "diner" type place near there that we can go to. The nearest ones are The Royal on 76th & 5th and The Bridgeview on 91st & 3rd. Makes me sad...
Oct. 1, 2011, 8:28 pm
J Pickman from Bay Ridge says:
Well, not quite. It was in 1953 on the corner of Hoyt and Bergen. Jimmy Durante wrote about the incident in his autobiography.
Oct. 1, 2011, 8:41 pm
C from Bay Ridge born and raised says:
Tim - spelling and speaking English are two different things. Not saying racism should play a part in this, just pointing it out!

Bay Ridge is not what it used to be. It is sad. I remember going to Logue's, Once Upon a Sundae and Hinsch's and I am sad to see the last one go. I hope they enjoy their retirement. They deserve it!
Oct. 1, 2011, 8:45 pm
Tracy from Brooklyn says:
Went to Hinsch's about a week ago and had my last strawberry ice cream soda. Wow, am I going to miss them!
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:25 pm
Christina from Bay Ridge says:
I'm really sad about Hinsch's closing, but I'm also upset that many of these comments are blaming it on Bay Ridge being less Italian that it once was. EVERYONE loved Hinsch's; when I went there (and I went often), it seemed like most of the community, regardless of race or ethnicity, would be there. It should be the landlords we're all upset with, not the fact that the neighborhood is changing. I'm sure most of Bay Ridge wish it would have stayed!
Oct. 1, 2011, 9:50 pm
Tommy Burke says:
Holy Xenophobia, Batman! Not quite sure how a thread about Hinsch’s closing turned into hateful screeds about "foreigners" but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hinsch’s closing has nothing to do with Mayor Bloomberg or Muslims. You people are so dumb it's scary! The next time you praise the Tea Party and criticize Obama or the Democrats while crying for "free market capitalism" to save the day, think about Hinsch’s! This is "free market capitalism" at work. The landlord wanted more money so she forced out a local business. How's that free market capitalism working out for ya now? Hinsch’s closing its doors has nothing to do with China or Iran, either. You folks forget that we were ALL foreigners once. The signs on the windows used to say "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" and it wasn't that long ago! How quickly y'all forget.
Oct. 1, 2011, 10:01 pm
Franco says:
What I am reading here is a bunch of racist B.S. from a bunch of people who no longer even live in Bay Ridge!! Let me be the first to say Good riddance to all of you!!! Your hate is not welcome here!
Oct. 1, 2011, 10:10 pm
Old timer from Bay Ridge says:
Brooklynborn from Bay Ridge says:

If you are young enough to see what is happening in BR and elsewhere you will in the near future change your mind !
Diversity reduces interpersonal trust, civic engagement, and charitable giving. It causes us to disengage from society, like turtles shrinking into their shells, reducing our overall quality of life. The more diversity we experience in our lives, the less happy we are.
Oct. 1, 2011, 11:49 pm
Julia from Bay Ridge says:
It is amazing that one person's comments now encompass all white working class people. Please don't make a generalization that all white working class people have left Bay Ridge because of liberals, yuppies, or hipsters. I really don't understand people who try to stand up for a cause but at the same time they cut down others by making stereotypical comments such as "carburbs"? You end up sounding just like the people you are trying to educate.
Oct. 2, 2011, 10:56 am
Dave from LEH, NJ says:
My wife and I used to go to Hinsch's after Friday night's confraternity dance at St. Patrick's in the mid 1950's. It was a great hangout. The gang would all show up and pump the juke box with quarters (6 plays for a quarter). The trick was to nurse your egg cream as long as you could, so that you weren't asked to leave by old man Hinsch. However, in the event that you became one of the "invited-to-leaves," you continued the gathering outside, where there were so many teeny boppers that walking past Hinsch's required modest navigation skills. When it became too noisy, you could expect a visit from one of the men in blue from the 64th precent across the street. The scene resembled a beach walker passsing through a flock of standing sea gulls on the beach. After the beach walker passed through all the seagulls would return. My wife and I were only 16 and 17 years old at the time. We have been happily married for 50 years and we are both saddened to hear of Hinsch's closing.
Oct. 2, 2011, 11:15 am
Jim Balis from Park Slope says:
I met my best friend there as a teenager in the 70s. I am saddened to learn of the closing, but I will always have the fond memories.
Oct. 2, 2011, 11:56 am
Aldrep from Bay Ridge says:
Am cannot waiting to move out of the Bay! oy bey.
Oct. 2, 2011, 1:40 pm
Tigger from Bay Ridge says:
Getting back to the article, I was saddened to hear that Hinsch's closed down, just like I was sad about the closure of Once Upon a Sundae several years ago. However, all those places had to offer was nostalgia. That's it. Hinsch's failed to keep itself competitive and take advantage of its history. Instead, it just stayed old and kinda gross. (I went there a few years back to get my nostalgia fix and boy was it a let-down! The entire place smelled like a bleach-soaked dirty mop and my burger was bland and grey in color--both inside and out.)

Things Hinsch's could have done to stay in business and afford the unfortunate rent increase (if they really wanted to):

- Take advantage of the Brooklyn boom and its established reputation and market its old-timey-ness at a time when loads of new places are trying to achieve that image from scratch all over Brooklyn.

- Update the menu/recipes so the food could be just as good or better than other places in the neighborhood. (It's really not that hard to make a GOOD burger.)

- Make newer residents and local shoppers aware of its existence. (Considering its location, how many new folks move into the neighborhood every year and how many shoppers visit on a daily basis, that place should've been a gold mine.)

- Make it a go-to gift-shopping destination during the holidays where one could pick up some really good artisanal treats instead of mediocre candy. (Hand-crafted artisanal salted caramels anyone? People eat that crap up! Pun intended.)
Oct. 2, 2011, 2:24 pm
diane from Bay Ridge says:
DP from Bay Ridge

Folks, the reality is that Hinsch's closed down because the rent was extremely high and couldn't make it. Every time I walked by, there were a few eldery people in there. It had nothing much to offer. As for the neighborhood changing for the worst in the last 10 years that is absolutely correct too. It is not racist to admit that. We all see it.
Oct. 2, 2011, 4:47 pm
vicki from pre-now bay ridge says:
It's sad, but it's Brooklyn. It has been a revolving home to immigrants from hundreds of years and it will continue to be so. Do you think you are the first residents to have these complaints? You also will not be the last. In 40 years these people who are annoying you will be annoyed by someone else. Small towns that stay the same forever and people never leave fight for factory jobs that are disappearing. This is what you have to live with to make money and have choices. This is also why New York is not like anywhere else in the world.

The more things change...the more they stay the same. Truer words were never spoken.
Oct. 2, 2011, 7:23 pm
BayRidge Bob from Bensonhurst says:
To:Brooklynborn from Bay Ridge.
Brooklynborn from Bay Ridge says:

Nothing wrong with diversity. You are correct that most of us either came from another country or our parents did.
How ever they assimilated. They bought from the German deli, the Norwegian bakery, the Italian veg and fruit, the Jewish haberddashery etc. They became productive citrizens and learned english. That's not happening.
Take a look at the shopping bags of many newcomers, and many thay have been here foy a good number of years.
They only buy from stores whose owners are of their nationality. They speak in their native tounge.
Most of the USA's present population, including our leaders in Washington, do not have the ethics or resolve that past generations displayed.
And they never will !
Oct. 2, 2011, 8:47 pm
Tim from Brooklyn says:
Pam and Diane, you ask where the racism is in the above comments. I think it is incredibly racist to write scaremongering comments about how every woman is going to be forced to wear a burqa. Also, suggesting, that it is OK to have an 'American' restaurant like Giacomo's Trattoria. Why is it more American to have an Italian-American named restaurant than an Arabic-American or Chinese-American one? Any owner of any race/nationality could be an American citizen. Is the writer trying to suggest that people of Italian origin are somehow more 'American' than those of other origins? Now do you begin to understand why I think it's racist?
Oct. 2, 2011, 9:40 pm
OLAgirl from formerly from Bay Ridge says:
I grew up in Bay Ridge in the 70's. Christmas shoppng on 86th st. record store & century 21...then onto Hinsch's for lunch with my HS friends...sunday's after mass @ OLA we would walk up to Hinschs...they were great memories...but NY has always been a gateway to immigrants..I agree with Tim..stop all the race hating...economics and 30% rent increase did them in...btw i am non-white,non-italian but 100% american..and in the 70's I was just another neighborhood Bay Ridge girl...nobody cared I had a yr. round tan...and i choose to remember my old nabe with fond memories instead of the racist tea-bagger crap that has infected our country in blaming the immigrants rant on our economy...KKK in the 1920 & Joe McCarthy in the 50's used this to divide and scare our country...and it seems we are falling for it again...Goodbye Hinschs ...thanks for the memories
Oct. 2, 2011, 11:49 pm
Expat from bay ridge says:
It’s sad to see places like Hinsch’s close but, I am even more sadden to see the comments for the people of Bay Ridge how racist we have become we all came from immigrants back in the day people said things about our Great Grand parents and Grand parents and as a American it hurts that we have not changed . And as to the comment earlier if you went there every five years or once a year for your tuna on rye how can a business run these days
Oct. 3, 2011, 5:06 am
Eileen from Formerly Bay Ridge says:
I am devastated...it's the official end to the most wonderful neighborhood I had the priviledge to call my home. Growing up in Bay Ridge was the best experience. Everyone knew each other...after school and weekend routines were hanging out on Shore Road...shopping on 86th Street and ending it in Hinsch's for food or just an ice cream soda. I'm sorry to say Bay Ridge is no longer the comfort of home feel it use to have : (
Oct. 3, 2011, 10:36 am
Jay from Bay Ridge says:
do we need a Berlin Wall in Bay Ridge?
Oct. 3, 2011, 4:41 pm
Jay from Bay Ridge says:
I miss the trams running around Bay Ridge, and I blame automobiles for that.

I miss the theaters in Bay Ridge, and I blame TV for that.

I miss the farms in Bay Ridge, and I blame people living in Manhattan for that.
Oct. 3, 2011, 6:50 pm
Johny from Dreyer says:
Good Cokes, used to order a tuna on toasted rye, and a hamburger with fries....then a vanilla shake....then walk down 86th st get a paper at Optimos...and walk...
Oct. 3, 2011, 6:57 pm
Joey from Bagadonuts says:
I had a bike that I used to lock up and then walk 86 st and the 5th ave The guys atthe triangle store always followed me even when I bought a basball...yup 2 slices and home for dinner....
Oct. 3, 2011, 7:01 pm
Maryanne from Formerly from Bay Ridge says:
I lived in bay Ridge for 5 years, ending in 2001 when I got married and was spirited away to Queens. I am still a Brooklyn girl through and through, however, and I will miss Hinsch's. Has a great time there with many friends, talking and laughing over a hot sandwich and a homemade ice cream treat. Even went there after shopping for a wedding gown at Klienfeld's and David's. Alas, it has been happening all over - the love of the Almighty Buck crushes the little guy trying to eek out a living. I hope raising the rent in such a jump was worth it Mrs. T. Good Luck Logue family. Know you made alot of people happy for many years!
Oct. 3, 2011, 7:49 pm
Jay from Bay Ridge says:
$10,000 a month rent is on par with East Village in the city.
Oct. 3, 2011, 8:25 pm
Joyce from Bay Ridge says:
I am so glad there are few of you who spoke up intelligently against the disgusting rant in the commentary from small minded people. Embarrassing as it may be, they too unfortunately are our neighbors and their opinions are what we have to deal with daily in this country. It is our responsibility to help and teach them about multiculturalism and tolerance. We are all Americans and proud to be from Bay Ridge, a community that thrived and continues to do so, as a result of changing times. Hinschs, once upon a sundae, etc. are places of nostalgia for many. Lets celebrate those memories of bay ridge past and stop the hatred of immigrants. Thank you to Tim and Tommy Burke for reminding me and others who read this that we are good neighbors and come from a place that educated us to be good people open to other cultures of the world. Bye, Hinschs, and thank you for contributing positively to my childhood. Enjoy retirement and well deserved!
Oct. 4, 2011, 3:58 pm
Chain Store Hater from Bay Ridge says:
Hinchs is a poor example of the fine Mom and Pop stores that once were predominant in Bay Ridge. Their food quality,ambiance and service had deteriorated and for years they depended on nostalgia to keep alive. You can't rest on your laurels forever.

However, I so agree that landlords are doing a disservice to the neighborhood by gauging rent prices in the hopes of attracting deep pocketed chain stores. But we can stop them very easily. How? DONT PATRONIZE THE CHAINS!

Morris Discount store is a success story. This Mom/Pop drugstore, directly across from Rite-Aid on 3rd Ave, is a Bay Ridge icon. Morris has been cheerfully providing P/T employment to neighborhood teens for years and in spite of the chain store directly across the stree, he is still alive. Why is this? Because neighborhood people still patronize this loyal Bay Ridge store owner who has helped so many of our young people.

So STOP whining about the demise of the Mom/Pop stores in Bay Ridge and START supporting local businesses instead. It's called Capitalism - and we have the power to make it work for all of us. We just need to put our money where our mouth/pens are.
Oct. 5, 2011, 2:38 pm
Michael from Greenpoint says:
As someone who spent 20 years growing up in Bay Ridge, the reason why I left was due to close-minded people in the neighborhood. Judging by some of the previous comments about different cultures I see much hasn't changed.

Hinchs was a great place for many years. But all good things come to an end. Things change, get over it.
Oct. 6, 2011, 1:05 pm
Tom from Bay Ridge says:
First off, we all know obama and his radical, socialist policies did not close down hinsch!!

The truth is, capitalism is not responsible either, it is pure greed, and while anna has a right to charge what she wants, the people who would pay rents like that in bay ridge brooklyn, need to be highly medicated, fir 10,000 a month, i could carry a mirtgage on nearly 10 homes!!! Shame on anna, and shame on us idiots for even entertaining people that look to suck the life blood out of us !!!! Enjoy your 99 cent store anna !!
Oct. 8, 2011, 9:25 am
Tom from Bay Ridge says:
Sorry for the type-os
Oct. 8, 2011, 9:26 am
michele from sheepshead bay says:
they say sheepshead bay has changed, well at least it hasn't changes for the filthier.. it is 2011 , this is America , immigrants will always be. but filth and ignorance is unacceptable and should not be tolerated in any neighborhood. too bad people cannot be fined for stupidity. and filthiness, we would really clean up brooklyn!!!!1
Oct. 30, 2011, 10:33 pm
Diana from Bay Ridge says:
Great Memories - Ice Cream Sodas and friends who met all the days. Wish I still lived in Brooklyn
Nov. 24, 2011, 8:40 am
John Fried from Bay Ridge says:
I used to go to Hinsch's with my mother at 5 years old. As crazy as this sounds I remember going to Hinsch's on the day when I just came from the dentist. t was my first day at the dentist. Oh well a part of history that passes thats the American ONE WORLD ORDER way. In Europe this place would have been around another 200 years!! Our filth society wants us to have no connection to family or identify with anything wholesome.
June 7, 2012, 8:04 pm