Dad: Msgr. Brady groped my son

The father of the 13-year-old boy who accused a Marine Park priest of sexual abuse lashed out at the Brooklyn Diocese on Monday, claiming that the church is lying about the severity of the crime.

“[The diocese] says that there was no physical contact, but there was,” the teen’s father told this paper on Monday, describing the attack on his son police say was committed by retired Msgr. Thomas Brady, the longtime pastor at Good Shepherd Church who has close ties to District Attorney Charles Hynes. “[Brady] exposed himself and shoved his hands down my son’s pants.”

Police arrested the 77-year-old Brady on Friday morning, claiming that the former Batchelder Street spiritual leader had attempted a “criminal sex act” on two minors at two different times the day before.

The 13-year-old’s father, a Plumb Beach resident who is not being named by this paper, said his family are longtime Good Shepherd parishioners and his son was attending Good Shepherd parochial school when the attack took place.

Now, he’s not sure if he wants his son to return to Good Shepherd.

“[My son] wants to go back to school, but quite frankly I’m afraid for him,” he explained. “I don’t think they believe him.”

Police sources say the teen was in the church rectory with Brady at 10:45 am Thursday morning when the 77-year-old allegedly made several lewd comments. At one point, the former FDNY chaplain “offered to have sex” with the minor, cops said.

The police did not say that Brady had touched the child. Neither did the Diocese, who put Brady on administrative leave for having “inappropriate contact” with the 13-year-old, as well as a second teen. Diocese officials learned about the second attack while investigating the first.

The Diocese forwarded its findings to the DA, who charged Brady with attempting a “criminal sex act” before handing the case over to Staten Island District Attorney Dan Donovan. Brady was released on $2,000 bond on Friday.

A DA spokesman said Hynes couldn’t take the case since he and Brady are “longtime acquaintances.”

Diocese spokeswoman Stefanie Gutierrez said Brady, Good Shepherd’s pastor emeritus who continued to reside at the church rectory after retiring in 2009, has been removed from the Marine Park parish. Brady will not be able to say mass or administer sacraments for he foreseeable future, she explained.

“That’s the protocol under these circumstances,” said Gutierrez, claiming that church parishioners have been very supportive of Brady, despite the allegations.

“[Brady] is highly regarded and revered in both the Diocese and the parish,” she said. “He’s been a priest since 1959 and nothing like this has ever happened before.”

Yet Gutierrez couldn’t confirm accusations that Brady had groped the teen.

“The allegations are that [Brady] had inappropriate contact,” she said. “I don’t know what was involved.”

She did refute claims made by the child’s father that the church was treating Brady with kid gloves.

“The diocese is taking this very seriously,” she said. “We confirmed that there have been allegations of inappropriate behavior, Msgr. Brady has been suspended and placed on administrative leave, announcements were made at all parish masses at Good Shepherd, and Bishop DiMarzio has asked for prayers for everyone involved.”

Brady is expected to return to court later this week to respond to the sex abuse charges.

Sister Maureen Paul Turlish from New Castle, Delaware says:
“He’s been a priest since 1959 and nothing like this has ever happened before.”

It would be more accurate to say that NO ACCUSATIONS OT THIS KIND WERE EVER REPORTED TO THE DIOCESE BEFORE AS FAR AS I KNOW, if none were. The diocese CANNOT SAY whether or not "this have ever happened before."

Stefanie Gutierrez needs to be more careful in her statements.

The fortunate thing was that this accusation were reported immediately to the police rather than to any religious authorities. Thus it can play out in the criminal justice system where it belongs.

While everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence the "alleged" victim is now able to proceed through the legal system. That has not been the case with adult victims of childhood sexual abuse - by anyone - because criminal and civil statutes of limitation have expired.

IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE LAWS THAT NOW GIVE MORE PROTECTION TO PERPETRATORS AND ENABLERS OF SEXUAL ABUSE THEN TO THE VICTIMS!

Sister Maureen Paul Turlish
Advocate for Victims & Legislative Reform
maturlishmdsnd@yahoo.com
www.Justice4PaKids.com
www.nsacoalition.org
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:05 am
anthony from marine park says:
kids father lost his job i bet
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:09 am
paul r from marinepark says:
i have attended GSS since pre k all the way to graduation in 2006 i have had dozens of meeting ALONE for hours with the msrg. he has helped me get through family deaths, deaths due to 9/11 and nothing inapproiate ever happened , he has severe dementia he dosnt know what he says anymore
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:46 am
Anthony from MP says:
The church is protecting their own. I bet he is still at the restory hiding out.
Oct. 18, 2011, 10:49 am
Jeannie Guzman says:
I attended a Catholic grade school in New Mexico in the 1950's. At this time almost all residents in the area know that our Catholic grade school had two waves of Pedophile Priests, who ravaged our male classmates. It was so bad that the nuns used to give us "lectures" in Catechism class, instructing us that it was a MORTAL SIN to even to listen to stories from our classmates, "About priests DOING bad things!" We were also instructed, "To turn our classmates in, if we were to hear any story related to the above." My contention all along is that my story was probably repeated by our Catholic nuns, all over the country, as a way of terrifying those abused into believing that no one would believe their stories, or they would be openly humiliated if they told their stories and were "turned in." Believe me, our nuns weren't saints! They KNEW what was happening!
Oct. 18, 2011, 1:03 pm
deedeelee from Sheepshead Bay says:
This is the 2nd story I've heard about what type of abuse took place. I read that the Msgr tried to kiss the kid. Now he's sticking his hand down the kids pants? The kid is a liar, and his father is provoking him to lie. I know Msgr for years - no way he did this. He never had any complaints against him, never mind touching a child. Daddy, is the bad economy affecting you? You need money? Go get another job and stop your BS. Remember, this is blood money and you and your punk brat of a kid will have to answer to a higher authority one day.
Oct. 18, 2011, 1:26 pm
Judy Jones from St Louis says:
Child predators are very cunning and manipulative. They know every trick on how to groom, threaten, lie, and put the fear of god into their victims and sometimes even their family members.

They also appear to do a lot of goods things, they can be very charismatic and you may think they would never harm a child. They have to be this way, in order to not get caught and to continue to abuse.
Sexual predators are often powerful, charismatic and well-loved. It would be comforting if those who preyed on the vulnerable were obvious social misfits whose appearance would somehow set off alarm bells and give us ‘the willies’ or ‘the creeps.’ They rarely do. Usually, predators are among the last people we would suspect of sexually violating others. At a party, the predator isn’t some oddball sitting alone in a corner because others feel uncomfortable with him. Most often, the predator is the guy throwing the party.

We must overcome the dangerous myth that because someone is successful or warm or caring, he or she “couldn’t have done that!”

This victim is extremely brave and to be commended for taking action to expose the truth. This is not an easy thing to do, but keep in mind your silence only hurts, and by speaking up there is a chance for healing, exposing the truth, and therefore protecting others.

Let’s hope that anyone, who has witnessed, suspected or may have been harmed by Thomas Brady, will find the courage and strength to speak up, and contact law enforcement. There is hope, help, a chance for healing and to protect kids today.

Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, USA 636-433-2511
snapjudy@gmail.com
"Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests" and all clergy.
Oct. 18, 2011, 2:16 pm
anthony from marine park says:
the kids father will do anything for money the kid has a bad past in other schools
Oct. 18, 2011, 2:17 pm
Mary C from GSS class of 78 says:
@ deedeelee from sheepshead bay, You should be ashamed of yourself. You to will have to answer to a higher power. You have a right to state whatever good you may know of the Msgr. but do you know these children and their families to say such things. What if this really did happen? We know of many incidents of priests being accused and in the end found guilty. How about all the adults who had been victimized by priests as children and the catholic church was able to hide the abuse. Those adults today still never got justice. Let the courts decide deedeelee or do you not have faith in our justice system? @ Judy Jones from St. Louis...Amen, couldn't have said it better!
Oct. 18, 2011, 4:42 pm
sabrina from mp says:
some people seem more keen on believing there was an abuse that took place. sometimes in these cases priests are easy targets because the general population have a hard time understanding how they can tame their carnal needs to serve God. @Judy--I agree with what you have said about preditors ability to hide their true nature. But I would like to hear your opinion when understanding this was a man who suffered 2 strokes and is undergoing cancer treatments. People in the medical profession have said strokes can change a person mentally--if the brain is adled can it still manipulate? @Mary C I think you are being harsh on deedeelee--she is upset and entitled to her opinion no matter how strongly she asserts it. Hopefully the truth will come out in the end. Although I feel the damage has been done to both the boys and Brady regardless.
Oct. 18, 2011, 7:08 pm
former parishioner from out of town says:
If the victim has a troubled past, all the more reason to believe this priest would target him. Because of his past he would be less likely to be believed. Attacking the boy's father for being out of work is so Marine Park. I left there almost 30 years ago, and for these very reasons. I see the mentality of the neighborhood has not changed. Good Shepherd Parish was the worst Parish in Brooklyn I ever belonged to. Monsignor Brady, if guilty, is not the only pedophile priest that parish has ever had. If you believe Monsignor Brady, fine, support him as you must, pray for him, but do not tear down this boy or his family until the investigation is complete.
Oct. 18, 2011, 7:45 pm
Dolores from Marine Park says:
Ive known Msgr. for many years and during this time Ive never heard of any abuse of any kind. He has helped my family through difficult times such as sickness and deaths and was always great with my kids. To be honest when I first heard of this I thought to myself "No way!".. but then I caught myself thinking of my kids, boys and girls who served with Msgr. and I asked them if they or anyone they knew talked of anything inappropiate. I had to ask, they are my children and the truth is no one really knows....It couldve happened if hes had 2 strokes and alzhiemers. People act completely out of character and a lot of times sexual misconduct. Ive witnessed people do this working in nursing homes but again I do not know that this is true about Msgr. Brady.... I also could NEVER say a child ,even if he has a bad reputation in other schools or his past was lying about something horrible happening to him. It isnt something a 13 yr old would want to admit to anyone, no less his parents,school,parish and neighborhood. But again, I dont know that this is true about this boy. The thing is that none of us know what really happened so I think as Catholics we should pray for both of them because their lives will never be the same after this.
Oct. 18, 2011, 8:22 pm
Mary C from GSS class 0f 78 says:
Many people have mentioned Msgr. Brady's cancer and stroke as being a cause in any behavior that may have occurred. While it is true that stroke, traumatic brain injury and dementia can change a persons personality, the responsibility then fell on the church to make sure the Msgr. was not alone with any children. @ Dolores, I agree no child would ask for this kind of attention or to have this known to there friends. My children are 21, 18, and 17 and whenever they came home as children complaining of an un-justice that may have occurred at school or such the first thing they'd say is please don't call the teacher or parent or whatever the case may have been because they didn't want to be singled out. That is usually the natural response of a child. I agree neither party will ever be the same after this.
Oct. 19, 2011, 12:03 am
nana from marine park says:
What is the kid doing in the rectory at 10:45am on a Thursday and not in school?
Looking for a big payday for papa.
Oct. 19, 2011, 12:08 am
Devastated from Marine Park says:
I have read all the comments on this site since this news was made public. Not one comment - not a single one - could have been written by anyone who was present at Good Shepherd last Thursday.

Unfortunately, tragically, disturbingly - there was a breakdown of checks and balances meant to keep all parties involved safe and unharmed.

Attacking the boys OR attacking the Monsignor is not helping the situation.

If you are NOT an adult that was present here last Thursday, if you are NOT a classmate of those boys who witnessed first-hand the after-effects of the encounter, if you are NO LONGER part of daily life at the rectory or the school - you don't know what you are talking about.

Oct. 19, 2011, 11:25 am
Former GSS Student from Marine Park says:
I have known Msgr. Brady for 23 years. I have NEVER had any incidents happen with him or ever felt uncomfortable in his presence. I know what strokes can do to a person's mental ability. I 100% believe that this young boy is exaggerating the story. The best way I can show my support is to continue to show up at GS for church, continue sending my son there for CCD and show people that no matter what, we stand behind this wonderful man, who for years stood behind all of us.
Oct. 19, 2011, 12:12 pm
J. MURPHY from MARINE PARK says:
Sister Maureen Paul Turlish from New Castle,Delaware, are you a Marxist,Wicca practicing,man hating feminist?
Oct. 19, 2011, 1:08 pm
Tom from Marine Park says:
I have known Msgr.Brady for more than 22 years and I NEVER seen him act inappropriately toward any children.He has been a priest for 52 years and now he is supposedly doing this?Come on-no way!As for Anthony from MP-it is rectory-how many times have you been in church?In 1999,Monsignor Brady mentioned in the pulpit one Sunday that he wants to apologize for the inappropriate behavior of some priests during the priest scandal that year.It is so inconvenient that people forget that!Oh,maybe those people did not go to church that day-or month-heck years!
Oct. 19, 2011, 1:59 pm
Former GS Parishioner from NJ says:
Wow! Brooklyn Daily, you really managed to crack this case wide open!! You got the interview that the Daily News, NY Post, Newsday, the Times and every media network couldn't get. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Not to mention your alleged interviewee is a resident of Plum Beach? That is nowhere near GS. I interviewed Santa Clause this morning and he said the Brooklyn Daily is the ultimate news source.

I personally know Brady and have seen him very recently. He barely knows who he is anymore. It's unfortunate that this took place and it was poor judgement by administration to allow children to be alone with Msgr. That being said it was not what this article makes it seem. If Grandpa acted inappropriately in the nursing home when you brought your kids to visit would you have him cuffed to his wheelchair and dragged to his court? It's more or less the same scenario.
Oct. 19, 2011, 3:19 pm
Sister Katherine Donnelly from Boston, Mass. says:
Thomas F. Carr, an expert in the field of Child abuse and a member of a Pastoral Response Team that has been dealing with the issue of clergy abuse for close to 20 years, published an article at the beginning of the exposure of abuse in the Archdiocese of Boston called "Why Boys Don't Tell". . The response of some of those
commenting indicates that they have grasped the fact that for boys coming forward and having their peers know about what happens has kept countless numbers of victims from sharing their stories. As part of the multi-disciplinary Pastoral Response Team made up of volunteers who have expertise in the field of abuse, we have heard countless stories from senior citizens of abuse by family or other trusted adults that they have never shared with
anyone because of fear of the type of response by some who have immediately judged this young boy as a fraud.
Oct. 19, 2011, 3:59 pm
GS Parishoner from Marine Park says:
Hearing the news of Msgr. Brady is hard to comprehend because I have listened to the words that come from his heart when he has said mass, and hear about, and witness of all the good deeds he has done that he is being accused of such and evil act of conduct. It's hard to believe that anyone going through chemotherapy and the suffering he is enduring at this time that he would even be having thoughts of that nature. I hope he is not being targeted at this time of his life because he has dementia and may not be in his right frame of mind, and this is the way he is going to be treated towards the end of his life. Msgr. is a spiritual man, and I truly don't believe that he is even capable of committing the evil act he is being accused of
Oct. 19, 2011, 5:48 pm
Judge Not from Your town says:
I too hope these accusations are false, but it make me sick to see the children reporting these acts attacked.
Only Msgr & the kids know what happened. If your child was in this situation would you want him/her slandered?
Truth has a way of coming out & time will tell what really occurred, until then please stop attacking Father Brady & the children who accuse him. prayers for both parties won't hurt you.
Oct. 19, 2011, 9:24 pm
carol from MP says:
My first thought was no way, last person I would have thought
Monsignor is "not right in his head" acccording to his nephew
Just think people, what if this was YOUR SON
wouldn't you want this reported, or should we just sweep this under the rug and make the child feel ashamed for having been a victim, the way things were done in the past, these boys ARE VICTIMS, !!!
pray for all involved, the 2 boys and Msgr Brady
Oct. 19, 2011, 10:17 pm
lori kelly from marine park says:
I love mgsr brady and he is not capable of this. He is kind, loving and a gentleman. He has been perfect for 78 years - where did this come from. He is innocent
Oct. 19, 2011, 11:36 pm
C from Marine Park says:
I have known Msgr Brady my whole life and have nothing but fond memories of him as a child but to sit here and read grown adults attack a 13 year old makes me sick. No one knows what happened in that room except Brady and the boy. Of course I want to believe it's not true but this little boy's life is forever changed from this event and if it was your child telling you something of this nature would you call him a liar because Msgr Brady is a good man?
Oct. 20, 2011, 9:29 am
GSS Parishioner from Marine Park says:
I agree with Judge Not From Your Town -- praying for Msgr. Brady and the child(ren) is the best thing to do right now. I doubt a child would lie about something like this when the one they are accusing is so well-loved and respected in the community in which they live. I don't believe Msgr. would ever intentionally hurt a child if he was in his right mind at the time. But, things happen and just because you love and respect someone, doesn't mean that they are infallible. It's so sad for all involved.
Oct. 20, 2011, 5:16 pm
GSS Parent from Marine Park says:
I agree that all the parties involved should be prayed for. There are too many stories going around and the only ones that know the truth are the kids and Msgr. Unfortunately, I don't know how much Msgr remembers. I have know Msgr for over 20 years and both my kids have been altar servers and never has there been any inappropriate behavior. I remember what this parish was before him and he made it the most wonderful parish around. @former parishioner from out of town - 30 years ago, the parish wasn't what it is today and you should be so lucky to be apart of it now. But thank God for Marine Park you don't live here anymore. Marine Park is a wonderful neighborhood
Oct. 21, 2011, 5:34 pm
Me from MP says:
m
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:41 pm
Me from MP says:
I have read all the statements above, whether you are for or against Msgr is not the case at hand. This is not just about the troubled boy or Msgr. This is about alleged abuse, our faith and our community. Let me inform you that I am a lifetime loyal parishioner of Good Shepherd, I am educated in child abuse, worked with troubled children and have also worked closely with Msgr. Brady. With that being said, has anyone thought that the boy's story may be somewhat true(I mean something happened) but the situation was not caused by pedophilia but by Chemo-brain? This happened Thursday morning, directly after Msgr's chemotherapy. Msgr's health condition as of 2011 = Cancer, two strokes, Msgr has a full-time aid, has dementia, needs assistance to get himself dressed (obviously could not undress another if he can't undress himself), and cannot sit, stand or walk far without assistance. He had chemo just hours before this incident. Chemo combined with his dementia caused this occurrence. As suggested by many of the above posts, I am putting myself in the shoes of this boy and his family, I would not let my son have gone to Confirmation the next afternoon nor would I have wanted to go to Confirmation or back to school if I was molested the morning before.
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:57 pm
ME from MP says:
Msgr is not a pedophilia but a sick (medically ill) old man that should not be alone with children, alone by himself, alone period; he requires 24-hour care for his illness not a battle against this student and his troubled parents. He needs our support! If you have ever been around a sickly elderly person with dementia, you would be able to make this correlation. The people who are siding with this boy obviously do not know this boy or Msgr closely. You did not have to be there to know the truth; it only takes knowledge of Msgr's condition to figure out what happened. This boy's parents never come to church or school functions; they are just jumping on the bandwagon of this new stereotype and believing that all priests are pedophilias. This is untrue. Come on your son is 13-years old and could not out run Msgr?! Give our community a break and stop looking for financial gain by ruining Msgr's reputation. Forgive Msgr's inappropriate behavior that was caused by illness not by pedophilia and move on. These people obviously do not know the difference between pedophilia and medical illness. I STAND MY MSGR BRADY!
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:58 pm
ME from MP says:
I stand by Msgr. Brady!
Oct. 22, 2011, 1:04 pm
Dante from Bklyn says:
The real scandal in the church is that it knowingly ignores the fact that many priests are sexually active despite their "promise" of chaste celibacy. The sexual impulses of priests often result in secret affairs with ADULT FEMALES or ADULT MEN. Many priests have such a double life while pretending to act holy. If the news media ever investigates priests who engage in consensual adult sex (and afterwards -in mockery- ask for forgiveness with confession), then the church would be finished.
Oct. 22, 2011, 3:28 pm
Sally from Bergen Beach says:
Why if everyone knew that this man couldn't speak, walk or anything else was he left alone with a child?
Oct. 22, 2011, 11:35 pm
Tony from Marine Park says:
Know msr. Brady many years. Went to GS school. Was an alter boy. No way did he do this. He can barely walk, has dementia and is sick. Sounds like a misunderstanding.
Oct. 23, 2011, 9:49 am
Dante from Bklyn says:
Another sad feature of Msgr Brady's trouble, is that the Diocese dropped this priest like a hot potato -- as if guilty by association!
All the TV video clips show this poor sick old man, dazed & confused, being escorted only by a few elderly relatives. Where were his brother priests? Where was support & compassion from priest friends after so many years of service? Hypocrites.
I assume that only thing the Diocese is obligated to do is to get Msgr an attorney & post bail. Then it should be no surprise that many priests feel abandoned and turn to sins of the flesh & sex.
Oct. 24, 2011, 9:54 am
judy from marine park says:
I too admired Msgr Brady for many years. There can be no debate that he was a wonderful priest. The students were called from their classroom to go to the rectory office. What happened in that office no one here knows for sure. We are going to have to wait for the DA to do their investigation. The people of the parish cannot be the judge and jury regarding this situation. Until then we should pray for all the parties involved.
Oct. 24, 2011, 10:40 am
Mario from Diobrook says:
Good point Sally: why didn't Msgr have a Home Health Nurse's Aide to assist him? An infirm priest needs just as much medical attention as any other person.
Oct. 24, 2011, 11:08 am
GSS Parent from Marine Park says:
Well said "ME from MP".
Oct. 24, 2011, 12:18 pm
jim v from park slope says:
Father Brady was always kind and generous with his time and was always there for us at Cathedral Prep.
If he is guilty, then he should be punished....
I pray that this did not happened.... The laws should
protect the identities of the accussed just as they protect the innocent until there is an indictment.. if this turns out to be false, the reputation of a very good man will be besmirched.....
Oct. 24, 2011, 7:11 pm
Sally from Marine Park says:
I met with Msgr. Brady a few years ago to ask questions about godparent duties and he was SO frail and kept repeating the same thing in the way an Alzheimer's patient would. There is 1000000000% NO way that a man in his condition (3 years LATER mind you) could've done something like this intentionally, maliciously, and without provoke. If anything was done (an inappropriate comment, gesture, etc.), he was egged on by the boy and/or had no idea where he was or what he was saying.

I am usually the first person to blame the adult and/or doubt anyone who has been left alone with children, but I know Msgr. personally and can say with conviction that this is a setup from a troubled child and their family looking for money and attention. It's a disgrace for THEM.
Oct. 26, 2011, 10:14 am
Sally from Marine Park says:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened in court last week? Are they awaiting a trial? Or was a settlement offered?
Oct. 26, 2011, 10:15 am
Anyone from Anywhere says:
Wake up, you silly ones... Don't you know that ANYONE...is capable of ANYTHING...ANYWHERE...at ...ANYTIME...
Oct. 26, 2011, 7:44 pm
BB from MP says:
i graduated last year from Good Shepherd and have been in confession too many times to count with monsignor brady and never once has anything even remotely close to that ever happened. Honestly i think that this started as a sick joke between the kid and his friends, most likely the principal overheard and was obligated to tell the police. Monsignor Brady also has stage 4 lung cancer, suffered 2 strokes and has severe dementia, the only way possible that this accusation might have happenend would be soley due to the meds hes on, i mean c'mon those med dont make you think right. overall hes a great man who i can honestly say anyone who has ever attened goodshepherd loves dearly. I STAND BY U MONSIGNOR!!!
Oct. 26, 2011, 10:25 pm
Fred from Formerly Brooklyn says:
50 years ago I was a 15 year old boy laid up for 6 months with a severe bone infection which almost killed me. Farher Brady came to visit me every week at my home, many times when no one else was present. There was never, never anything inappropriate done by Father Brady. He would give me communion, have a cup of coffee and we would talk. He was wonderful. I now read that over the course of the last 50 years there has never been any accusations against this man until this present one when he is suffering from dementia, dying from lung cancer and receiving highly toxic chemo therapies. Needless to say I am highly skeptical of the accusations and hope and pray that the truth will out.
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:54 pm
CTJ from BAY RIDGE, BROOKLYN says:
This kid who made these accusations is a PROBLEM CHILD with mental problems. He is known around Good Shepherd School to be a persisent cause of meyhem.
Msgr. Brady DID NOT DO THIS!!!!!

FAMILY NEEDS MONEY!!!!!
Nov. 2, 2011, 1:12 am
JACK from MARINE PARK says:
MSGR. BRADY HAS BEEN A PART OF MY LIFE AND FAMILIES LIFE FOR OVER 20 YEARS. THIS KID AND HIS PARENTS BETTER HAVE SOME CONCRETE EVIDENCE TO GO ON OR THEY WILL ALL BE IN TONS OF LEGAL TROUBLE.

MSGR. BRADY HAS COUNTLESS SUPPORTERS. WE WILL ALL RISE TO STAND WITH HIM.

THIS "CHILD" AND HIS FAMILY ARE A TOTAL DISGRACE!!!!!
Nov. 2, 2011, 1:15 am
Former Student from Flatbush says:
I was a student of Msgr. Brady's at Cathedral Prep Seminary, and I can tell you without the slightest hesitation that he was not only a good teacher, but a good priest, and above all, a good man! I find it inconceivable that he could be guilty of any wrongdoing. My classmates and I were all most fortunate to have had good teachers such as Msgr. Brady.
His health has suffered greatly over the past few years, and those bringing forth the allegations against him are apparently looking to make a fast buck! There is no question that abuse can and does happen within the Church and this is absolutely deplorable. But I know of at least one instance where the allegations against a Roman Catholic priest were false, and it ended up destroying the man's vocation.
We Catholics have enough to put up with from attacks from outside the Church without having our own members undermine us.
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:24 am
Former Student from Flatbush says:
In response to the nuns above who are so anxious to demonize Msgr. Brady, let me add this; I have suffered more physical abuse at the hands of nuns in catholic elementary school than from anyone else in my life! Anyone who grew up in the '60's and attended these schools knows this! And yet no one dares take them to task for it! I was not a "problem child" growing up, but I wish i had a dollar for every time a nun told me she would smash my jaw (and, more often than not, tried)! I could have retired long ago!
Nov. 4, 2011, 1:09 pm
ed from windsor says:
Kudos to the principal of good shepherd for reporting this alleged abuse to the police. During this economic mayhem, a very brave thing for him to do given the fact his salary comes from the the Diocese. By the way.......did you know the other teen involved in the accusations was the principals son?
Dec. 2, 2011, 9:05 am
Mike MD from now in Maryland says:
I met Fr Brady over 40 years ago when I was a freshman at Cathedral Prep in Brooklyn. I
I met with him alone numerous times through my fours there. He never did anything inappropriate. Instead he was a model for me and very much admired by the other students. I was surprised by the story, saddened that there's this at the twilight of such a good man's life. I am sorry for the boy(s) if this story is true, and even more so if it is not. I hope they find happy productive lives.
Dec. 2, 2011, 2:19 pm
CATHOLIC STUDENT from MARINE PARK says:
All the people who are attacking this boy and supporting Msgr Brady claiming he is so infirm has dementia and can hardly function must ask themselves. Why then if he is not in his right frame of mind was the school sending these young boys to have one one meetings with him? He must have had some mental culpability in order to mentor these boys.
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:11 pm
Family Member of Victim from Rockaways says:
I think it's disgusting to see all of the comments vilifying the victim. I can tell you the family is an upstanding, hard-working family with good values who is NOT looking for a pay day. Maybe the Monsignor kept these fellings in check for many years, and can no longer control them because of his mental capacity. Whatever the case, the school and the diocese have acknowledged inappropriate contact. What really happened no one else can say - but it would take a lot for a 13 year-old to say all that happened and face the shame and embarassment that someone that age would naturally feel with peers. I understand the need to support the Monsignor if you have known him for so long - and all are entitled to do so. It's a horrible situation for all involved. However, if you show support while defaming the victim and his family, then you are nothing but naive, uneducated trash. If these accusations are proven, I hope you will pray for forgiveness for vilifying a CHILD!
Dec. 29, 2011, 10:41 am
ed from windsor says:
Did I hear correctly? Let me get this straight......The Diocese has admitted wrong doing as well as Monsignor Brady.......Was there really a Christmas tree lighting ceremony for this guy? Heaven help us all......
Jan. 1, 2012, 8:31 pm
john from flushing says:
why isn't the media all over this one?
Jan. 2, 2012, 5:22 pm
Catherdal Prep from Flatbush says:
Monsignor Brady wasnt my favorite nor me his at Catherdal prep but he was the most respected. He would always be there for those in need. Not sure what happened that day but the Father brady I knew had every opportunity to molest boys at Catherdal (ALL BOYS) but it was never reported to this day.
March 3, 2012, 8:56 pm
—— these from Nuns says:
Stupid nuns, demonizing him when they don't know what happened. Nuns have hit kids and beat them senseless and cause more damage than this man ever did. Shame on you all
March 26, 2013, 1:58 am
Martin Keely from Outer Banks, NC says:
I've known Tom Doyle since our boyhood together in Breezy Point, NY. We both went off to the seminary, he to the diocese, I to the Franciscans. Tom was one of the best, brightest, kindest priests I have ever known. If because of his strokes and the onset of severe dementia, he acted inappropriately with anyone, I can certainly understand how that could happen. I have witnessed confreres who led exemplary lives lose all inhibitions as a result of dementia and subsequently act in bizarre or inappropriate ways. If that's Tom's situation, why the rush to destroy this good and great man. If he is completely innocent, God forgive his accusers. As for Sr. Maureen Turlish, she is truly despicable, as are all of those who rush to convict Brady or who automatically dismiss the veracity of the charges against him. Either way this is a horrendous tragedy - the destruction of a good and holy man in the twilight of his years when he is helpless to defend his honor.
March 28, 2013, 9:35 am