Today’s news:

Flatbush family overcome by fumes

A Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corps paramedic treats a little boy who was overcome by fumes in his house near the corner of Albany Avenue and Farragut Road on Friday. A noxious mix of carbon monoxide and pesticides were to blame, officials said.
Brooklyn Daily

A fire broke out in the basement of a Glenwood Road building on Nov. 11 — mixing up a noxious cocktail of carbon monoxide and pesticides that sickened seven residents.

Firefighters and paramedics raced to the home, located near Albany Avenue, at 12:26 am, after a small blaze broke out in the basement of the storefront building.

Witnesses said the victims, which included two adults and three children, rushed out of their smoke-filled apartments retching and vomiting.

Sources said the landlord fumigated the basement earlier in the day. When the fire broke out, it mingled with pockets of carbon monoxide that was already in he basement, they said.

“It was a smoky fire, and the people who lived in the apartments were quickly overcome by the fumes,” an FDNY source said.

It was unclear what sparked the fire by Monday night. Residents were treated at the scene — and were allowed to go back home after the entire building was aired out.

Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at ttracy@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2525.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Anntelope from eastvillage says:
I have been getting poisoned every five or six weeks in my apartment building because someone is spraying strong stuff and not warning the others. I don't know why it's mainly doing it to me, but I NEED it to stop before it kills me. I've lost thirty pounds in the last year from this stuff making me nauseous and ill. It HURTS to be poisoned. It feels like you ran into a brick wall including your stomach got flattened too. Oh, and it gives you diarrhea, makes you urinate over and over because it dehydrates you, you get headaches and it is POISON. There needs to be a LAW put in place about when and where this can be used.
Aug. 21, 2012, 2:43 pm
Anntelope from eastvillage says:
oh and this ignramous landlord needs to be SUED for sickening people that way.
Aug. 21, 2012, 2:44 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group