A fire broke out in the basement of a Glenwood Road building on Nov. 11 — mixing up a noxious cocktail of carbon monoxide and pesticides that sickened seven residents.
Firefighters and paramedics raced to the home, located near Albany Avenue, at 12:26 am, after a small blaze broke out in the basement of the storefront building.
Witnesses said the victims, which included two adults and three children, rushed out of their smoke-filled apartments retching and vomiting.
Sources said the landlord fumigated the basement earlier in the day. When the fire broke out, it mingled with pockets of carbon monoxide that was already in he basement, they said.
“It was a smoky fire, and the people who lived in the apartments were quickly overcome by the fumes,” an FDNY source said.
It was unclear what sparked the fire by Monday night. Residents were treated at the scene — and were allowed to go back home after the entire building was aired out.Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at email@example.com or by calling (718) 260-2525.
©2011 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.