Fidler on the rebound!

Councilman and state senate hopeful Lew Fidler is finally out of the hospital — and the two weeks he spent being treated for an allergic reaction that wrecked havoc on his kidneys hasn’t hurt his chances of winning disgraced state Sen. Carl Kruger’s seat, he claims.

“It’s 1,000 percent full steam ahead,” Fidler (D-Marine Park) told BrooklynDaily.com less than two hours after he was discharged from Beth Israel Medical Center on Kings Highway. “I expect to beat the pants off of [my GOP challenger David] Storobin. This was a temporary setback, but I’m back in the saddle.”

Fidler says he was feeling under the weather for about a week before he had a Hatzolah ambulance take him to the hospital, where doctors learned that he had a severe allergic reaction to his gout medication.

Fidler’s staff wouldn’t divulge anything else. That, coupled with the length of his hospital stay, led some to wonder if he was seriously ill.

But Fidler, who spent his first day out of the hospital dealing with constituents fighting city liens, claims his condition wasn’t as dire as some thought.

“It’s understandable that people were worried, but those who came to visit me knew that I was going to be walking out of the hospital. Once people see me back on the job, they’ll understand that I’m going to be fine.”

But his state senate campaign could be in critical condition: Fidler’s extended hospital stay forced him to cancel two debates with Storobin, an attorney and vice president of the Kings County Republican Party, as well as several public appearances.

As Fidler sat in the hospital, Storobin secured the support of a number of Orthodox leaders — garnering the same support that helped Republican newcomer Bob Turner beat Democratic Assemblyman David Weprin (D–Queens) in a special election in 2010 to replace former Democrat Rep. Anthony Weiner, who resigned in a cyber-sexting scandal.

“We’re in great shape heading into the last two weeks,” Storobin told us earlier this week. “I feel very confident.”

Political analysts said that Fidler’s hospital stay may have given Storobin the edge he needed to win the special election to replace Kruger, who stepped down after pleading guilty to pocketing $1 million in bribes.

“Fidler’s illness didn’t choose the best time to attack him,” said political analyst Hank Sheinkopf. “The more you get out there campaigning [the better it is] and he can’t campaign right now.”

But Fidler says his hospital stay was pretty productive: he spent most of his time on the phone and online and was in constant contact with supporters and campaign staffers.

“There were fewer subway stops and less baby kissing, but the people in this district know who I am and what I’ve done and they’re going to judge me on that,” Fidler said.

Reach Deputy Editor Thomas Tracy at ttracy@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2525.

Ari Kagan from Brighton Beach says:
I saw Councilman Lew Fidler today. He looked good and campaigned in good spirit. Good luck on March 20!
March 8, 2012, 10:34 am
BOPA from BP says:
Does anyone actually believe he was in the hospital this long with an allergic reaction? Seems very odd. So before he is even a Senator he is holding back information about his health. Not a good sign of things to come.
March 8, 2012, 10:41 am
jerry from brighton beach says:
I'm getting Political Flyers from both Fidler & Storobin.
Sorry Lew : Storobins's are much better
relating to the public than yours. Better information & to the point.
You really need to get another political consultant . Your message isn't getting through.
March 8, 2012, 2:34 pm
Anthony from Sheepshead Bay says:
Saw the Councilman on Brighton earlier today and the guy could barely stand up. Gave brief comments then had to sit the rest of the time. He was looking very weak and frail. I hope he is actually better like they claimed.
March 8, 2012, 6:34 pm
Lena from Sheepshead Bay says:
I saw Lew today. He looks just like anyone who just came from the hospital. I spoke to Lew today. I have heard strong and smart Lew Fidler like always. Storobin should be ashemed to say that these two weeks have helped his campaign. Storobin just an empty suit. No knowledge, no experience, no culture.
March 8, 2012, 7:13 pm
Irina from Sheepshead Bay says:
Storobin didn't say that, others did. And anyone who tells you that Fidler looked good today is lying. He count stand. It was a huge mistake to come to an event in that shape. There was the young, vibrant, smiling Storobin, standing next to Fidler who looked like he would collapse if they made him stand up. Who the hell advises him? How did his advisers think it was a good idea to come out looking crippled?
March 9, 2012, 3:50 am
Milton from Canarsie says:
I received a large flier from NYS Democratic Committee today.It was all negative toward David Storobin, about Storobin "working overtime to keep online child predators," and states that Storobin is working to protect dangerous predators. To my knowledge Storobin is a criminal defense attorney.
Hey, get with it, Lew Fidler. You, too, are an attorney, and would defend any case that comes your way, I'm sure.
Why didn't the NYS Democratic Committee spend money praising your character and achievements instead of admonishing Mr. Storobin's? That flier is a low blow, and makes me swing toward Storobin because this isn't the first time you caste nastiness at your opponent.
You're fighting dirty, Lew Fidler, and that shows you are a follower, a weakling of the Democrook Party!
And as an aside, what's with the photos of your family on fliers? Are they supposed to draw voters closer to you? I'd much rather read about your accomplishments, for your family has nothing to do with your campaign nor your political status.
March 9, 2012, 7:55 pm
Izzy from Bklyn says:
Said Lew Fidler, back in January 2008, in response to a blogger, under title "Councilman Lew Fidler's Crude Response..." (ck w/google)
"I guess I call it the way I see it....and if it walks like BS, smells like BS....."
Lew Fidler surely knows what BS is, for he has been wrongly and crudely throwing it at his opponent, David Storobin.
Being a smart guy is easier than being a smart man!
March 9, 2012, 8:16 pm
DAVID from MILL BASIN says:
NY Post, 2/6/2012, titled FIDLER ON THE LOOSE:

"Meet Lew Fidler of Brooklyn, whose 10 years on the City Council have apparently entitled him to, well, a grand sense of entitlement.
As The Post’s Rich Calder reported last week, Fidler’s been caught for the second time in as many years making personal use of official-business-only parking spots on the Borough Hall public plaza.
OK, that doesn’t make him Son of Sam.
Still, why shouldn’t he have to pay for public parking like, y’know, the “little people”?
Silly question. Since The Post first caught Fidler plaza-parking illegally (in October 2010), he’s upgraded his ride (to a $44,000 2011 Infiniti FX35) — but he’s not bothering with official parking tags or other permits.
So why haven’t the traffic cops patrolling the plaza ticketed Fidler once? Let the little people try that — they’ll learn that public office in New York comes with entitlements.
Fidler is running in a special election to replace state Sen. Carl Kruger — a public servant who felt so entitled that he’s now on his way to prison for bribe-receiving.
Has Fidler found a career track?"
March 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
Jacob G from C.I. Avenue says:
This election isn't about legal or illegal parking in front of Borough Hall or who is or isn't a sleazy lawyer, it's about Lew Fidler's votes for "Gay Rights" and saying that two men or two women can be together as if they are really in a traditional marriage. Whose tradition? Lew Fidler's! And what tradition is that?

A vote for Lew Fidler is a vote for Obama's radical social engineering agenda.
March 10, 2012, 1:58 pm
MIlton from Canarsie says:
Fine, Jacob--you just (above) gave me yet another reason NOT to vote for radical Democrook Lew Fidler. The fact that corrupt Vito Lopez endorsed Fidler makes me worry too, as does the fact that Fidler still has not returned some $88,500 to the Campaign Board from his 2009 run for office--he won that with 82% of the vote and didn't need the money! (The Daily News addressed Fidler as "Lootin' Lew" in an article.)
That negative flier I received from Fidler denouncing Storobin was money that could have been better spent. Why didn't Fidler state some positive facts about himself instead of attempting to caste a shodow over Storobin? It didn't work for me except to turn me off to Fidler's dirty politics.
March 11, 2012, 12:47 pm