It’s all over: Aviators fall to Whalers 5–4, on a fluke play!

It’s all over.

The Brooklyn Aviators fell to the Danbury Whalers — on a fluke play no less! — during a tragic 5–4 overtime loss in Connecticut, ending the team’s hopes of raising the coveted Federal Hockey League Commissioner’s Cup over their heads this year.

The Aviators have a history of stumbling in the extra round: Brooklyn only triumphed once in the five overtime games they played during the regular season. Their playoff matches against Danbury were no exception.

Sunday’s loss was eerily similar to Friday’s 5–4 overtime defeat that kicked off the playoff series against the Connecticut blow holes. The game opened with a strong showing from both squads: the Whalers made two consecutive goals in the first four minutes of play, but Brooklyn was hot on their skates, scoring back-to-back points of their own three minutes later.

The second period saw Brooklyn pull ahead, with two quick points coming from Aviators right winger Casey Mignone and center Rob Schweyer. But, after a barrage of attempts, the Whalers managed to slip the puck past A’s goalie Jo St. Pierre, cutting the A’s two point lead in half.

Brooklyn’s boys of winter held onto their one point lead until, eight minutes into the third frame, Danbury’s Sean O’Malley scored on what anyone would call a freak accident: a puck slapped toward net minder Jo St. Pierre — one that he could have easily blocked — ricocheted off of an Aviators’ skate and landed squarely in the A’s goal, sending the game into overtime.

It was all downhill after that — Danbury scored in the first minute of the extra session, giving them the game.

One can blame the loss on bad luck, but you can’t blame St. Pierre: the A’s omnipresent gatekeeper stopped 46 of the 51 attempts Danbury made at his net. Danbury’s goalie only blocked 29 of the 33 shots the Aviators sent his way.

Anthony from Blow Hole Ville says:
Whalers were the better team, period
March 12, 2012, 6:02 pm
wow from NY says:
I wouldn't wipe my ass with this —— paper. Nice reporting, you hack.
March 12, 2012, 6:16 pm
Professional from another institution says:
The editor at this institution should be fired along with the author.
March 12, 2012, 6:30 pm
ice ice baby from the hood says:
with the unprofessional reporting,you have disrespected all the players of the danbury team (blow holes) the series twas a hard fought battle, hats off to both teams! exciting series!
March 12, 2012, 7:35 pm
domish13 from NYC says:
O'Malley Screws Brooklyn, Again!
March 12, 2012, 9:58 pm
unclejo from therink says:
colin mixson needs a lesson on unbias journalism...nice try colin,dont give up your day job.
March 13, 2012, 12:49 pm
Connor Peterson from SF Bay Area says:
I like this writer. I've liked the Aviator coverage all season long. I wish my dad would have taken me to more games. But he didn't. We went fishing a lot. I wish I could have caught one of these whales.

Don't let these people that are commenting discourage your reporting. I could give you a 102 reasons why they are just trying to start trouble.
March 13, 2012, 3:34 pm
J-Quan from East-Side says:
You wish you had 102 fans to go to your games
March 13, 2012, 4:15 pm
Big Freedy from Danbury says:
Blow holes????? You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!!
March 13, 2012, 4:17 pm
Bud Light Baby from A Blue Waffle says:
Can someone please tell my mom to stop drinking beer? It's doing irreversible damage to my brain. And if you don't know where Blue Waffle is, Google it. That's where you'll find me...
March 13, 2012, 4:48 pm
Bedhead from Quebec says:
Colin Maxon has officially joined Brock Kirkman as top nominees for worst publications ever produced.
March 13, 2012, 4:57 pm
aviatorfan from thefield says:
i am a huge aviator fan,and i have been to every whaler game at the dia.they are a good team and outplayed us,and deserve to advance.i didnt go to any of our home games this year,because i was tired of sitting by myself. well,there is always next year.....go whalers!
March 13, 2012, 5:14 pm
Amazing Man from Cliffton says:
I love Cliff
March 13, 2012, 5:25 pm
Hobie from DIA 104 says:
We're proud of our blow holes - because they're moving on after playing a hard, tough series with a worth opponent. Too bad this erstwhile journalist can't be more objective in his work. Props for the punny "fluke" play, though...assuming that he chose the word on purpose...
March 13, 2012, 5:46 pm
Walt The Whaler from I-95; I-84 says:
I am a kilt wearing bus driver. When I say I'm ready to rumble, I mean it in a rumble strip way. I'm a better bus driver than Jacke Gleason. Mostly because he's dead now.

The Whalers are the best team I ever driven around. Apart from their smart ass goaler Vic Needirt, they are a good group of guys. They say a lot of funny things about some guy named Marco, but it's all in good fun. They only taped his buttcheex together with duck tape once that I know of.

I hope they win it all and then I can wear my short, short kilt to celebrate. Sometimes you can see my coin purse when I wear that one.

God bless.
March 13, 2012, 6:09 pm
Shipwreck from WEST SIDE REPRESENT NOW says:
There once was a story of the Brooklyn Aces. Robbie Miller was the homeboy of the Brooklyn Aces. He didn't get along well with his daddy Christopher. Christopher was like PEACE I'M OUT IM GOING TO DANBURY. Robbie decided to coach. He had an amazing winning streak and talked about it on LATE NIGHT TELEVISION. His homeboy was Matty P. Robbie's plan backfired in the end and he got stomped by Pierre "The Cherry Picker" Dagenais. All was bad for Robbie. Danbury didn't like christopher so he was like PEACE IM OUT IM GOING TO JERSEY. Matty P was like PEACE IM OUT NO MORE 3 FANS IN THE STANDS FOR THIS MAIN MAN. Robbie was sad.. Jessie Felten is all he had left.. So they lost and lost and lost.. Finally Danbury threw some trash out the window, and Robbie picked it up and put it on the 2nd line. That trash gave Robbie some hope.. They beat Matty P a few times and he just laughed and hugged chris while they said LOLOL DUDE WE DONT CARE PLAYOFFS SOON.. Robbie was not detered.. he charged into the playoffs like a man on fire.. only to watch his faithful goalie crumble to the might of the danbury whalers. Instead of being a nice guy, he SOLD HIS GOALIE OUT IN EVERY LOCAL NEWSPAPER. Despite winning game 2 and thinking he was slick, Robbie managed to screw his organization out of a championship again.

For the third time, Robbie falls short. Poor Robbie.
March 13, 2012, 6:29 pm
Rob Miller from Jail says:
Stop PICKING on me.
March 13, 2012, 6:33 pm
Rob Miller from Jail says:
Stop picking on me.
March 13, 2012, 6:33 pm
Colin Mixson from Rob Miller's House says:
Nyessssss
March 13, 2012, 6:35 pm
Ira from Kosher Corner @ Aviator Rink says:
I used to be a Whalers fan, but the fans were too much for me. I fell in love with Chris Testa after he gave up 8 goals to the Whalers in one night. I tried to salvage his broken stick, but some Whalers fans got and it and turned it into a trophy to m-m-mock him.

I'm now a Bluefins fan, and whoever is playing the Whalers. I once told Rob Miller to try the rusty trombone, but I regret saying that, because he's the best.
March 13, 2012, 6:54 pm
Chief Wiggums from FHL Front Office says:
I am not a volunteer. I am a vital cog in the wheel. The straw that stirs the drink, if you will.

Please enjoy the game night experience, and don't let the daw hit you on the ass on the way out.
March 13, 2012, 7:02 pm
Baby Boy from Cell Block H says:
I can relate to Ira. I was once a Whalers fan, but then the fans were really mean. This Mikey V guy called me a name that I had stitched into my hat. Then the whole section started chanting it. I still go to games in celebrity incognito style. They can never spot me.
March 13, 2012, 7:23 pm
Debbie Rose Scampoli from Bakery says:
I like hotdogs.
March 13, 2012, 7:28 pm
Ira from Lego Land says:
I w-w-w-w-w-was on Opie And Anthony.
March 13, 2012, 7:57 pm
Two sets a rips from Macissacville says:
I was on a service call for a clogged pipe today. Pipe was clogged with brooklyn daily papers. Please print it on Charmin next time.
March 13, 2012, 8:32 pm
Hank Wheeling from New Jersey says:
Who DID IT?
March 13, 2012, 8:52 pm
Really Really Really from Hells Kitchen says:
I'm still looking for that damn flashlight
March 13, 2012, 8:54 pm