Brooklyn's going to the dogs

Dogs get bused to Dyker run

Professional dog walkers are ferrying pooches into the Dyker Beach Park dog run from all corners of the borough and ruining the leash-free lot for local canines, say pup-owning residents who are getting tired of the interlopers.

Neighbors say hired dog walkers often exceed the posted three-pup-per-person limit at the dog run at the corner of Seventh Avenue and 86th Street — sometimes bringing more than a dozen at a time — which they claimed causes crowding and nasty dogfights.

Bonnie Diaz, who lives across the street from the run, said that a group of pooches being overseen by walker Beth Sampson — who admitted that she trucks in dogs from Ditmas Park — once ganged up on her pet Marley.

Today, Marley takes off whenever Sampson or another dog-sitter arrives with a crew, Diaz said.

“The second somebody pulls up with a lot of dogs, I leave,” Diaz said, adding that the walkers tend to group around the picnic tables by the entrance, making it tough at times to escape without some kind of trouble.

James Gheida of Bensonhurst, who’s been visiting the run for nearly eight years, said that the privately-hired dog-sitters often bring as many as 18 animals to the park at a time, forcing him and his dog Woody to the far corners of the fenced-in lot — or out of it entirely.

“I don’t want to stick around. There’s no way they can control that many dogs,” said Gheida, adding that he’s seen packs of the animals attack single dogs that were at the lot with their owners and reported the incidents to Community Board 10.

CB10 District Manager Josephine Beckmann said she’s heard plenty of complaints like Gheida’s every month.

“People are saying dog walkers bring in huge groups of dogs and that many of them are vicious,” said Beckmann, adding that residents are further infuriated because 311 doesn’t accept complaints about dog-on-dog violence.

A 311 representative confirmed that the city helpline only responds to reports of dog attacks on people, but couldn’t explain why.

But professional dog walkers said the charges against them are untrue.

Sampson confessed that she often brings five or six dogs to the park, but vets her animals for personality problems before bringing them inside the dog run. She also says her dogs never fight with the other canines.

Keeping the peace among her pooches is essential to staying in business.

“If the dogs come back to their owners with marks from fighting, you aren’t going to be a dog walker for long,” Sampson said.

Another professional dogwalker — who refused to give her name — admitted that she brings dogs to Dyker Beach Park from as far away as Park Slope, but said she hires helpers to manage the animals.

She says she never had a problem controlling her pack, suggesting that some dog owners mistake loud play for violence.

“They hear barking and growling and see them chasing each other and they think the dogs are fighting,” the dog walker said. “Really, they’re just having fun.”

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at (718) 260–4507 or e-mail him at wbredderman@cnglocal.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/#!/WillBredderman

Anonymous from Bensonhurst says:
Will, you are one hell of a horrible reporter. Your a liar and manipulator. First off, the picture caption is a complete lie. I was standing right there when it was taken. There was no fight, the dogs were simply checking out who was arriving, wouldn't you do the same?
You interviewed me, you stated the article was about odor complaints, lies. I was there when you interviewed many people and all of there stories go against what you reported.

Readers, would you all like to know who starts fights? Well I'll tell you, unfixed dogs. Unfixed dogs are also not allowed in the park. All of the dog walker's dogs are fixed.

The dog walkers are a godsend to this park. They do 80% of the cleaning, supply ALL of the balls, are all around great people. I am at this park six days a week. I wish I had the control over my one puppy as they do there multiple dogs. 18 dogs, really? There is never 18 dogs in that park, not even close.
May 17, 2012, 9:15 pm
Erin from Bay Ridge says:
This reporter is ridiculous. He came to the park over the course of a week and this is what he came up with?! The reporter asked questions about the smells and the proposed renovations to the park. Somehow he focused on one or two people.
This park is for the entire borough. We should be happy people come from all over Brooklyn to enjoy the park and use the local businesses. I love meeting people and dogs from all over the borough when I go to this park. This is huge dog run and it's big enough for everyone. Do people want to go to an empty dog park? I bring my dog so she can socialize and play. When it is empty we end up going home.
No one is busing in dogs. Everyone who goes to this park is responsible for the dogs they bring.
This is not a newspaper article. Its a dramatized opinion piece.
May 17, 2012, 9:38 pm
Jimmy from Bay Ridge says:
Wow. This is a joke of an article.
You should consider your sources a little better. The woman Bonnie you quoted has a very aggressive dog which ,until recently, was not spayed. It has bitten my dog as well as others. But people just deal with things in the best way they can. Same with your other source, his dog is the same.
What exactly are you trying to report? I guess we have to wait to see what the renovations are by waiting until they are done.
May 17, 2012, 9:50 pm
Dyker_Lurker from Dyker says:
Hey Will, who's the blond all the way to the right in that photo?

She's cute.
May 18, 2012, 12:39 pm
I love dogs from Bay Ridge says:
Unfortunately, your sources are hardly credible in this case. The two dog owners quoted in this article are notorious for stirring up trouble and sparking fights in the park on a regular basis — for the mere purpose of seeking attention and stoking their own egos. Woody is a particular problem, and responsible for 90% of the dog fights in the park.
May 18, 2012, 5 pm
Loves this dog run from Bay Ridge says:
So- I had to reread this article twice, it was shocking to read to be honest- I bring my dog there every day during the week only so that she can play with the dog walkers dogs- not only are they all playful and fixed and up to date on all their shots but they are watched over closely by the dog walkers- the dog walker that brings in more dogs always has people with her to make sure she is covered and that all the dogs are safe. The other dog walker "Beth" does not bring in that many dogs- this is a ridiculous argument and seems to be someone stirring sh*t to me. I would never bring my dog there on the weekends because not only is that when there are the most fights between the dogs but it is when all the people get into fights as well. It's a park full of drama during the weekends and the people seem to forget that it's a place for the dogs to play. Don;t even get me started on the dogs that are not fixed that come in and are not watched!
The dog walkers are the ones that are mostly responsible for cleaning that park- that is the 2 dog walkers that are there during the week in the mornings until early afternoon. This article is ridiculous and misinforms the readers. The photo above shows the dogs greeting the other dogs that come in, nothing more-
May 18, 2012, 10:34 pm
Jimmy from Bensonhurst says:
I hate to burst anyone's bubble here but I personally do most of the clean up of the park. I empty the pails and change the bags twice a week, There are others that help me as well. As far as the unfixed dogs I so agree that there are many, Mostly the pitbulls. The park is a drama den but you'll ge t that anywhere and to the person who said my dog starts 90% of the fights, You really need to get help. My dog is well trained and has been attacked many times in this park by pits and husky's. As far as the dog walker meg, I'm there every morning when she brings her dogs and I move to the other side to avoid her pack and she is not up on her dogs like she should be and does not pick up after all of them. She also has a very negative attitude towards everyone. As far as the later dog walker, She is very nice and always brings balls for all the dogs and as far as I know she is very up on her pack but I'm not there when she comes but I know her well enough to say she is very sweet. Maybe this is why she has so many clients.
If anyone has any problem with me or my dog bring your issue to me and I'm sure we can resolve it in a very nice way.
May 18, 2012, 10:54 pm
Dog mom from Dyker says:
I cannot speak about encounters with the dog walkers but I can speak about the clean up of the park. Twice a year there are major clean ups which I have attended the last 3 years and only once was there a dog walker there. Garbage bags are supplied by those who chip in and not once do the dog walkers. Most mornings the pails are overflowing with garbage which is obvious no one empties during the day. It I'd the local owners, including myself that pick up garbage, fill holes and dog poop left from the day before. So to say that 80% of the dog walkers contribute is a huge overstatement . Any dog walker who disagree please introduce yourself at the next cleanup while you help haul the garbage.
May 18, 2012, 11:46 pm
Jimmy from Bensonhurst says:
@ dog mom from dyker.
I don't know where you've been but there hasn't been a major clean up of the park since last year and I was there, As far as the pails and bags go Joe brings the bags that he gets from the parks dept and I've been along with jerry have been emptying the pails twice a week. I fill the holes and I haven't seen anyone other than myself do it so to say that you are doing it is a lie in itself. I would love for you to introduce yourself to me I'd love to meet you.
May 19, 2012, 9:41 pm
Caesar from Bay Ridge says:
Please excuse my English, but this article is ruff! When I read it I wouldn't even let my owner pick up my own s&%$ with it!!!! I don't have problems with dogs at the park (except the unfixed ones that try to hump me). I am pretty sure this article was written because Will is unable to lick his own junk, he's probably fixed anyway, maybe even a cat person! It's sad that I have better accuracy peeing on a single blade of grass then approximately 98% of this article, including the poor caption under the photograph. I give this article one leg up........while I'm pissing on it!
May 20, 2012, 10:15 pm
Dog walker from Brooklyn says:
@dog mom from dyker- fyi- I fill ANY and ALL holes any dog that I bring makes- ANY AND ALL- and I have been to several clean ups- I do not have to make my self known there as I am there to clean up and clean up only- not to mention the crap I pick up when I am there~ more then half of it is not form our dogs- we clean up and crap we see- and mostly it is cold and old- and disgusting- but I don't care because I respect that park and if it is there I pick it up- if I am there and I see a dog crap I pick it up even if it isn't a dog that is with me- why? because I do- why not? I bring tons of bags for the day so I just pick it up- I don't need any one to tell me good for you or a damn medal I do it because I respect the park- and not for any other reason- not for you or for any one else there- I am sure I have been going to that park way longer then you and here is a question- why doesn't anyone care that we are there during the cold days? I respect that park 12 months a year- I can't say that for many others- In fact if you see me at the clean ups- you probably wouldn't even know it- and again I would never introduce myself- for what reason? I m there to clean up not to get a medal- enjoy your night.
~dog walker-
May 20, 2012, 10:32 pm
Will Bredderman from Brooklyn says:
Whaa Whaa Whaa. That's all I'm reading in this comment section. I'm having my senior editor remove all of your whiny comments.
I am a world class reporter. If you dislike my reporting, go read the Post. Our paper doesn't need nor want your readership.
Mr. Caesar you're correct, I am a cat person, I currently own 17 of them. I am currently petitioning the community board to replace your awful dog run with a wonderful, spacious, and interactive cat run. It will be such an improvement for this neighborhood. Good riddens to all you dog lovers out there.

May 21, 2012, 4:03 pm
Amazed from Bklyn says:
Wow Wil- what happened?!?! Can't take the heat?? Maybe if you were a better reporter you could handle it. But off more then you coul chew?? Waaa waaa waaa is what you'll be doing when you ask you daddy to take down all the comments that you can't handle. Man up or at least write an honest article! Grow some balls and leave the comments. It's a free country. I guess not being from this city is tough- only the string survive here anyway. Poor baby go cry to mommy.
May 21, 2012, 4:26 pm
Dog Lover from Brooklyn says:
Shouldn't a world class reporter be working at the NY Times or Wall Street Journal?
May 21, 2012, 4:31 pm
Caesar from Bay Ridge says:
Someones bark is louder than their bite! I'm sure an editor would love to see one of their reporters trying to defer people from reading their paper. If someone is going to write about me and my fellow hounds we expect respect and honesty, not nonsense from a "world class reporter" who works for a local Brooklyn newspaper! I wag my tail to you Will for finally writing the article about dog park odors, oh and using the same photograph with a different caption! Where did the paper ever find such an amazing world class reporter? It's a dog eat dog world and this guy smells like he's wearing milk bone underwear!
May 21, 2012, 5:09 pm
Pun_Rater says:
Caesar: 9:10

Your puns make your comments hysterical.
May 21, 2012, 5:34 pm
Mittens from Dyker golf woods. says:
Mr. William, as a local cat, I fully support your vision to turn the dog park into a cat park. Your ideas are perrrrfect.
Leaving this park to the dogs and their lousy owners would be a cat-astrophe. I for one will be marching down to the CB10's main office to sign you're petition. I really hope you're dream of making a "wonderful, spacious, and interactive" park for us goes through. With the park the way it is now, I get very Claw-strophobic. You're a hero and inspiration to us all.

(^._.^)>
May 21, 2012, 7:04 pm
Pun_Rater says:
Mittens: 5:10

You try to hard.
May 21, 2012, 7:05 pm
Caesar from Bay ridge says:
Pun_Rater I was thinking the same thing, sounds a little bit like a "copy cat"! ;) Seriously give a dog a bone then leave a dog alone!
May 21, 2012, 7:33 pm
James from Marine Park says:
Every inch of park space in densely populated urban areas like Brooklyn is badly needed by people. It can be argued that dog owners pay taxes, and are entitled to use the parks. Yes, dog owners pay taxes. But, their canines don't! They can't be said to have any civil rights to use public facilities, such as parks, because they are not human. They are not covered under any civil rights legislation. Any park space used as a dog run is not available for the general public. Even dog owners find other peoples' dogs to be problematic. Dog runs deprive the general public of badly needed park space. If a person chooses to own a dog(1 should be the limit, especially in a city), it's his/her problem to exercise it; not the responsibility of the society, especialy those who choose not to have one. No one told them to get a dog. Let them buy, at their own expense, a treadmill to exercise. All park space shoild be devoted to human needs.
May 22, 2012, 12:39 am
Steve from Bay Ridge - Dyker says:
Dogs ARE a human need.
May 23, 2012, 12:13 pm
Our park from Dyker says:
Amen, Steve. It's ok for humans to throw beer bottles and crack vials all over the beaches, and piles of trash all over the parks, but god forbid a well-behaved dog have a patch of grass in this city on which to roam free.
May 23, 2012, 2:09 pm
Christine from Bay Ridge says:
James, based on your comments we should tear down every playground and any other portion of public parks pertaining to children's amusement as, while their parents pay city taxes, the children under the age of 13 who use the playgrounds do not work and do not pay taxes which is just unacceptable. Just like dogs, nobody tells people to procreate - it is a humans choice to bring a squealing brat into this world depleating the earth's resourses and creating an overpopulation problem. If one person wants two dogs and another wants two babies that is their choice and neither should be deprived of access to what they work for and pay for with their taxes.
May 23, 2012, 2:56 pm