Good Shepherd sex scandal

Grand Jury fails to indict Monsignor Brady

A grand jury failed to indict a Marine Park priest who police say tried to molest two teenage boys — but the 77-year-old spiritual leader has yet to return to his parish, Brooklyn Daily has learned.

Peter Spencer, a spokesman for Richmond County District Attorney Daniel Donovan, explained this week that the grand jury didn’t think prosecutors had enough evidence to take Monsignor Thomas Brady to trial, stopping the case in its tracks.

Yet Brady, who’s had several strokes and is currently suffering from lung cancer, won’t be returning to Good Shepherd Church on Batchelder Street anytime soon: he’s still in the trouble with the Diocese.

Diocese spokeswoman Stefanie Gutierrez confirmed that Brady is still on a forced administrative leave away from his Marine Park parish and the allegations were being reviewed by a cannon lawyer, who will determine if Brady violated any church rules.

Police arrested Brady last October, claiming that he attempted to perform a criminal sex act on two minors at two different times.

Investigators said that one of the victims — a 13-year-old student at Good Shepherd Parochial School — was in the church rectory with Brady when the senior made several lewd comments. At one point, Brady “offered to have sex” with the minor, cops claimed.

Investigators did not say that Brady had touched the child. Neither did the Diocese, which accused Brady, an FDNY chaplain with close ties to Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes, of having inappropriate contact with the 13-year-old, as well as a second teen. Diocese officials learned about the second attack while investigating the first.

Because of Brady’s connections to Hynes, the criminal case was handed over to DA Donovan.

But Good Shepherd’s faithful didn’t believe the allegations against Brady, claiming that the teens made everything up. Brady is too old and too sick to do what the teens claimed, many parishioners said.

“[Brady’s] almost 80 and has had numerous strokes,” parishioner Pat Davis said following Brady’s arrest. “If he was in a nursing home, none of this would have happened.”

The 13-year-old boy’s family was adamant that the attack took place, and claimed that parishioners were vilifying the teen for telling the truth.

“I’m afraid for [my son],” the victim’s father said shortly after Brady’s arrest. “I don’t think they believe him.”

Attempts to reach the victim’s father this week were unsuccessful.

Parishioners were ecstatic with the grand jury’s findings.

“It was the right decision, because he really was innocent,” said one longtime parishioner and Good Shepherd Parochial School alumnus, who wished not to be named. “I believe that it was all a big misunderstanding.”

Reach reporter Colin MIxson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Judy Jones from Missouri says:
Let’s hope that every person who saw, suspected or suffered sex crimes by Thomas Brady, will find the courage and strength to speak up, call police, expose wrongdoing, protect kids and start healing.

Judy Jones, SNAP Midwest Associate Director, USA, 636-433-2511
snapjudy@gmail.com
(SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, is the world's oldest and largest support group for clergy abuse victims.
SNAP was founded in 1988 and has more than 12,000 members. Despite the word "priest" in our title, we have members who were molested by religious figures of all denominations, including nuns, rabbis, bishops, and Protestant ministers and increasingly, victims who were assaulted in a wide range of institutional settings like summer camps, athletic programs, Boy Scouts, etc)
May 11, 2012, 1:23 pm
Christopher McLean from Jewish area says:
The real criminals here are Ann Thompson ADA and Donovan DA of Richmond County. They never had any intention of indicting that pedophile you want to call a "priest". It's nice to be best friends with Hynes isn't it? Why did they call in my estranged wife to testify against my son in the grand jury? Bishop's office wants to restore Brady to restricted duty. Ok, send your kids in to see him in the confessional. Good luck with that. Those of you who don't believe my son their is nothing I can do about that. All I can say is that he did it . My son was victimized twice now. The DA was more concerned with Brady's health and his "priest burial". If they indict him he would not have been able to have that. So why tell me the father?! Please believe us, it happened. Stop drinking the Brady cool aid.
May 11, 2012, 4:27 pm
Robert Hoatson from New Jersey says:
It was an honor for us survivors and advocates to stand outside Good Shepherd Parish many months ago and thank the courageous teenagers for stepping forward and reporting their abuse. It's good to read that Brady is still not off the hook and he shouldn't be.

Road to Recovery, Inc.
P.O. Box 279
Livingston, NJ 07039
862-368-2800
May 11, 2012, 4:34 pm
James Sweeney from New Jersey says:
DA Hynes is also in cahoots with Brooklyn Orthodox Jews to cover up/not prosecute their child sex abuse cases. See today's NY Times cover page article.
May 11, 2012, 5:26 pm
Christopher Matt from Connecticut says:
Believe me, 13 year old kids do not make up accusations like this. As a survivor, I feel safe in affirming that. This servant of the church is guilty.
May 11, 2012, 5:39 pm
VICKY/SURVIVOR from new jersey says:
People in the pews cannot see a "priest" as the criminal he is, they only see the priest. Please check out catholics4change and you will see how many people support us as survivors. Blogging on this website has helped me so much. So many end their blog by saying we believe the victims!
May 11, 2012, 5:57 pm
Scott Rose from New York says:
It's noteworthy that one of Brady's defenders says "If he was in a nursing home, none of this would have happened," as if no person in a nursing home had ever carried out a sexual assault. It's also noteworthy that they allege he's too old and too sick to carry out a sexual assault, whereas -- who knows? -- some degree of mental affliction related to illness might have led him to attempt certain grossly inappropriate sexual moves. When a Grand Jury returns a "No bill" decision, that does not mean the Defendant is innocent (though he might be). It can mean that jurors thought it would be too tough to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. And again, at trial, a "not guilty" verdict does not necessarily mean "innocent." One problem with grand juries is that they are secret -- there's no way for an impartial entity to evaluate whether the prosecutor left out significant evidence in, or against, the defendant's favor. The grand jury system is not used in most developed nations.
May 11, 2012, 5:58 pm
Elizabeth from Marine Park says:
I am actually a long time parishioner of Good Shepherd and I know Msgr Brady. Of course he didn't do this but what noone will talk about is the boy whose father came and protested during mass. The boy has been kicked out of multiple schools and is a problem child. I am not saying that he lied on his own but may have been coerced by his father to make a case against the diocese. I understand that there are bad people in the catholic faith but not all priests are pedophiles.
May 11, 2012, 6:06 pm
CT Woman from CT says:
Until we reckon with the fact that the Catholic Church is duplicitous and self-serving, this abuse will continue. My own experience with the Archdiocese of Washington, DC has been less than satisfactory. Other than an email apology and a weak offer of 'counseling', I have received nothing from them as restitution for my late brother's abuse at the hands of a twice convicted pedophile priest. Their claim to 'take reports of abuse seriously' rings hollow to me, a sister who will never forget what happened to my brother and knows it was the true cause of his premature death.
May 11, 2012, 6:11 pm
Marianne Barone Trent from Syracuse, NY says:
I am the mother of 2 sons sexually assaulted by a catholic priest in 1987. The sympathy went out to the priest as well. Our family as well as one other, were shunned and scoffed at by the church and community. One supporter of my 2 sons' abuser wrote in the local newspaper, "How dare we do this to the poor priest? He (priest) worked hard to become a priest for 8 years." And I say, "And it took many years to prove our case, despite all attempts by the church's attorneys to shut us down. It will take the rest of my children's lives living with the scars."
There was only one other family out of dozens of boys molested by the same priest willing to come forward. For some reason, most parents of those boys were more willing to protect the priest, than to protect their own children. I am now hearing from those "kids" as grown men living coast to coast.
Shame on blind followers of a church that is supposed to stand for TRUTH, and protection of the innocent.
Kids don't lie about this kind of abuse. You have no idea what they go through. It is protectors of criminals who allow crimes to occur.
May 11, 2012, 6:13 pm
DPierre from Massachusetts says:
According to last year's U.S. 'Child Maltreatment' report, nearly 70% of investigated abuse claims were unsubstantiated. Sadly, some people do make up charges sometimes.

As for SNAP, people should learn the truth about this shifty organization:

May 11, 2012, 6:34 pm
Baet from Queens says:
Go here to learn the truth about the media's jihad of exaggeration, bias and misinformation about the Catholic church and sex abuse.

Stop the bias! Stop the lies! Tell the truth!
May 11, 2012, 6:46 pm
Kay4Justice from Lenexa, KS says:
Shame on Dave Pierre for his negative comments on survivors of priest/nun abuse and his personal attacks on SNAP. As a survivor, I know what we victims of predator priests and nuns have to go through just to stay alive. What exactly are you, Dave Pierre, doing about the child abuse situation?
May 11, 2012, 6:51 pm
Tommy from Marine park says:
Reading these comments amazes me of how ignorant people are. So many people are ready to throw the monsignor under a bus just because he is a catholic priest. Some of these comments are assuming that he is guilty because of who he is. Many African Americans commit crimes in NYC, which is a documented fact. Does that automatically make someone who is African American guilty when accused of committing a crime? Absolutely not!!!! This is why we have the criminal justice system. Hopefully none of the "he's guilty because he's a priest" people are in any position of political power because I'm afraid we'd be burning people at the stake based on accusations. God bless America!!!!
May 11, 2012, 7:11 pm
Richard McLean from Retired FDNY says:
Elizabeth from Marine Park, let me correct you. The boy is not a problem child and he was not kicked out of any school. He is my nephew and is a great kid who was molested by this man. My nephew was also the ring bearer at my wedding at Good Shepherd 11 years ago. Unfortunately, the priest who married my beloved wife and I was Brady.We know this is hard for people to believe but these false comments about my nephew and my brother are very hurtful. Think about how these comments can hurt a child, he's been through enough.
May 11, 2012, 7:13 pm
DJ from Marine Park says:
Hey Hero My nephew was in the same class and sorry your nephew IS a trouble maker and my nephew don't lie!
May 11, 2012, 7:47 pm
Richard McLean says:
I really didn't want to go back and forth with cowards afraid to write their name and just put their initials. All I was asking is to stop with the false hurtful comments.
May 11, 2012, 8:27 pm
DJ from Marine Park says:
Don't claim you nephew a saint, I hope I am around when he gets locked up one day. Not one other complaint against Brady EVER, first priest to be proven innocent and rightfully so. Why don't you go after the person who allowed him to hang out in the rectory. Leave Brady alone. INNOCENT
May 11, 2012, 8:32 pm
Peggy Desiderio from formerly Marine Park says:
Hey DJ if your nephew is getting the same education you evidently did, I doubt he has the intelligence to judge a "trouble maker". So I would more expect "you nephew a saint to be locked up" if he has the same intellectual deficits you have. I know the victim and "you nephew do lie" (written in language simple enough for you simple mind) and if you have the ability to read then do some historical research there have been other accusations against Brady - also swept under the rug, not in NY. Act like an adult and stop accusing the victim, would love to see your reaction if it was your nephew. Go back to school and learn how to write and speak proper english and stop trying to bully in your moronic writing. Take care, patheti moron
May 11, 2012, 10:27 pm
Ray B. Ret. NYPD from Reality, USA says:
Hi Elizabeth from Marine Park. YOU weren't there, your facts are completely WRONG, and you should be ashamed of yourself for your insinuations.
Don't skip mass this weekend, you've got a lot of reflecting to do.
May 11, 2012, 10:45 pm
Ray B. Ret. NYPD from Reality, USA says:
p.s. and take "DJ" with you....
May 11, 2012, 10:48 pm
DJ from Marine Park says:
Hey Peggy Perfect stick it where the sun don't shine "patheti". Sorry but the system has spoken perfect english
INNOCENT.
May 11, 2012, 11:04 pm
Melissa from Former Brooklyn resident says:
Anyone with the audacity to call in to question the character of the victim, you repulse me and should be ashamed of yourselves. We're talking about a child who could just have easily been your child. Using the mind numbing "logic" I have witnessed here, calling into question the outfit and or sexual history of a rape victim would and should be deemed perfectly appropriate...am I right? That being said, character assassination of a child....BRAVO! Character assassination of an abuse victim....BRAVO! Character assassination of a loving father.....BRAVO! You should be proud of yourselves.
May 11, 2012, 11:07 pm
Peggy Desiderio from formerly Marine Park says:
Hey DJ good catch, a sticking key and again intelligence overwhelms "where the sun don't shine". Good come back! You just accentuated you are a moron. Better go to church on Sunday and ask for a brain or go see the wizard for one but by all means ask some one for a brain. You are sorely lacking in that department. I think Melissa said things very clearly, are you too stupid to comprehend it? Go to hell moron you will surely be in good company with your beloved pedophile priest, who if Hynes is to be believed has one foot down there already.
May 11, 2012, 11:19 pm
Peggy Perfect from reality says:
the system did speak and never once did it say "INNOCENT" but what was made clear is this system is flawed. If you know the right people you can do what ever you want with out fear of consequence.
May 11, 2012, 11:40 pm
Parishoner from Marine Park says:
Justice has been served. I was in the rectory on the day of the incident in question, one of Msgr.'s most disoriented and out of character mental states since his sickness began. I'm glad that the DA recognized that he is not a pedophile, but a mentally damaged senior. I hope the alleged victim is able to receive the counseling he likely needs.
May 12, 2012, 8:13 am
DJ from Marine Park says:
I will proudly be in church on Sunday praying for Msgr. Brady and his clearly confused victim.
May 12, 2012, 8:42 am
Kathy McLean says:
To the Parishioner from Marine Park can I ask you a question why on one of his most disoriented and out of character days did the school send children into his office????? Would justice be done if it was your child?????
May 12, 2012, 9:08 am
Kim Roy from Hartford,Ct says:
It's so classic....child tells....church members say oh he would never do that!...truth is THE PEDOPHILE PRIEST LOVES KIDS.....don't let the fear stop you from telling! Keep talking. Priests hate to get caught. I was molested by Monsignour Albert Berube at St. Anthony's in New Bedford, Mass in the 60's. That bastard was loved by the community and he molested other kids too. Perhaps you should see it then you would believe it. Speak out, you are not alone. Oh this never would have happened if he were in a convalescent home....yeah right! Get real!
May 12, 2012, 9:12 am
Christopher McLean from Madison says:
Thank you for all the support. Those of you that don't I know it is hard for you to understand and believe. He has not been exonerated. The DA's offices do what they are told by the Bishop's office. That's what I am finding out first hand. Me and my son are still glad that he came forth even though people in high places did not do the right thing here. Remember, a good DA can indict a ham sandwhich...also, a good DA can steer a grand jury away from an indictment. Which is exactly what they did. The Bishops office admitted their was an attack, the pricipal admitted their was and attack, Devlin admitted their was an attack. All told me , the father. The seasoned veteran Brooklyn sex crimes investigators told me they believed my son. Brooklyn ADA O'donnell told me their is a lot of things wrong over their on many different levels and we are going to get to the bottom of this. Enter, Charles Hynes transferring of the case to Staten Island and everything seemed to have just stopped in it's tracks. My son never was kicked out of any school in his life. I will not go back and forth defending my son against any more false comments. They just are not true. We are bruised battered and beaten up by all this and this is really the first time I can take a look at what people are actually saying without frothing at the mouth. On a personal note it has interfered with my Catholic faith but not my faith in God and Jesus Christ. God Bless, just want to put it behind us now and move on.
May 12, 2012, 10:36 am
DJ from Marine Park says:
Kathy it is very disturbing that the principal would allow children to go to the rectory on any day. For a child's own safety they should not be out of the school at any time after they are dropped off.
May 12, 2012, 10:53 am
Parisoner from Marine Park says:
Kathy, yes, that's a great question to ask. Why were students out of their classroom and in the pastor's office during the school day? When I was a student at GSS, it was common to pop in and say hi to Msgr after mass when we were altarservers-- for which students do leave class during the day. It would not surprise me if that were the case.

If you have any experience with the elderly and diseased, you should know well that mental state from day to day is unpredictable. The things that come out of people's mouths are wild at times. Conflating mental illness with pedophilia is hardly appropriate.
May 13, 2012, 11 am
Christopher McLean from Madison says:
He knew exactly what he was doing. No slurred speech. Very coherent. According to my son Parishioner from Marine Park no one was in the room with him. The truth is on our side. Make no mistake. On October 13 your beloved priest knew exactly what he was doing. WE will have our day. He was not coherent enough according to his lawyers to talkto the judge but it looked like he wanted to confess. Lawyers would not let him. But it was ok to let him talk to my son. No one seemed to mind that his so called dementia strokes and whatever else he is suffering from stop him from seeing boys. Only in the aftermath he is now some sort of invalent his faithful/lawyers are making him outto be. . He may very well be right now. I hope so.
May 13, 2012, 5:51 pm
Gail Howard from Connecticut says:
I hope that the boys who were hurt will heal, and that their families will have peace. They are very brave to have come forward. When I was attacked by a monsignor in my parish rectory, I told no one because I thought it was my fault. It is just as well, because no one would have believed me. But that was in the 60's, and now it's time for lay Catholics to take responsibility for the truth and take charge of the organization they hold dear. That it was a long time ago and that it was only a few priests is simply not the case. Most if not all bishops actively provided child molesters with new victims, many for decades, and the Brady story, among so many others, is evidence that the problem is alive and well.
May 13, 2012, 6:26 pm
RICHARD BJORK from GOOD SHEPHERD CHURCH. says:
I Know Msgr. Brady 4 over 25 years, in my heart that he did not due this. he is a very good man. he served gs. well over his reign. please drop these charges in his condition. hes so fraile, let him die in peace, and not have this spoile his record.
May 14, 2012, 6:14 am
Beth McLean Potts from Wilmington, North Carolina says:

..Matthew 18:2-6

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea

I AM SO PROUD OF THE COURAGE MY NEPHEW HAD TO COME FORWARD AND SHARE THE TRUTH AND TO GIVE STRENGTH TO OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN ABUSED TO KNOW IT IS RIGHT TO COME FORWARD. GOD BLESS THOSE VICTIMS WHO DID NOT MAKE IT, WE KEEP YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES IN OUR PRAYERS.

WE APPLAUD OUR CHILDREN AND GIVE THEM VOICES!
May 14, 2012, 11:02 am
JC from Marine Park says:
I went to Good Shepherd and when this came out I was so upset along with my graduation class who were alter boys and girls at Good Shepherd. And never in the years Monsignor Brady did not do a thing. Out of all the years Monsignor Brady was there nothing like this happened! I saw Monsignor Brady about three weeks prior and he always knew me and he said hello to me and was upset he could not remember my name. If something like this happened I would not keep my son/daughter in the school... Hmmmmm I do applaud children for speaking their minds and telling the truth. Because I am an educator in the school system. Many priest have been accused in the past, but with this one right from the beginning it states "the grand jury didn’t think prosecutors had enough evidence to take Monsignor Thomas Brady to trial" Evidence is KEY to anything you do not have it than it cannot go on!
May 14, 2012, 7:31 pm
Healing from Hawaii says:
I am proud of the 13 year old. I am ashamed of myself. I am 50 and have repressed my memories of abuse in 1979 in a school rectory by a priest. I am only now coming to grips with the damage it has done to me throughout my life to my relationships with other people and with God. The hardest thing I have ever had to do was to "confess" this to my wife of 26 years.

To all those who support the church with statements like "The Monsignor did not do a thing", of course he didn't - TO YOU. These things are done in secret and the poor children normally are to afraid to speak out against Gods Representative on Earth. You have to remember that these children, of which I was one, have usually been raised in the church and have a belief that is simpler than more cynical adults. We BELIEVED in God. Some of us had abusive parents and looked to the church for sanctuary, love and acceptance. We did not understand that what the priest was doing to us WAS abuse. It was explained as something GOOD.

What really hurts the most to me is that there were others in the church who KNEW/SUSPECTED that it was happening and yet turned a blind eye or worse yet covered it up.

I was a 14 year old child from a broken home. Yet no one interfered when I was "allowed" to stay overnight at the rectory when I missed my bus home. The next year the offending priest was relocated to another location even though I did not say anything. Possibly another boy at my school was as brave as the 13 year old in this story and spoke up.

If that was the case then the response of the church was what they have been doing for years...move the problem and ignore the victim.

I have only been dealing with this for a few weeks and am still fairly pissed off, both at the church and myself. I am upset with myself for not coming to grips with this sooner. I have seen comments on other stories in the press about people like me who are coming forward after all these years. Negative comments generally run along the line of "They are just after money."

No. What I want is my innocence back. I want to redo the past 36 years. I want my wife and children to have had the chance to have a mentally complete husband and father.

Unfortunately, the church can't give that to me. They can't even give me the healing of confronting my abuser. He is dead.

I am sorry to have talked so much about ME but the reason is to point out to this young man and his family how STRONG and BRAVE I think he is to confront this now. Now the healing can start. Don't worry so much that they will not admit their guilt.

Remember that YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

I LOVE YOU. YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU. PLEASE LOVE YOURSELF.
May 15, 2012, 1:19 am
Richard Mclean from formerly Brooklyn says:
JC from Marine park, why don't you ask Devlin, Papparelli and the bishop's office, all of whom admitted to my family that my nephew was victimized by Brady. Brady is friends with Hynes and THEY MADE IT GO AWAY. Another brave supporter with no name.
May 15, 2012, 7:42 am
Beth McLean Potts from Wilmington North Carolina says:
Thank you Healing From Hawaii.
May 15, 2012, 4:17 pm
Bob Lulek from Bucks County PA says:
To the women who said that the boy was a problem child etc.. YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG I have known this boy since hes was a baby. He in no more trouble than any other kid his age. DJ WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO BELIEVE THAT THIS SO CALLED PRIEST DID THIS . DID NOT JESUS SAY CALL NO MAN FATHER EXCEPT YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN WHY DOES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH MAKE UP DOCTRINE. YOUT BEST BET DJ IS TO READ SCRIPTURE DO YOU READ SCRIPTURE? OR ARE YOU RELIGIOUS A TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL NOT WORHSIP MAN OR RELIGION. THIS IS THE VERY THING THAT JESUS HATED THE SO CALLED RELIGIOUS PHARISEES AND SADUCEES OR DO YOU KNOW WHO THEY WERE? JESUS SAID THERE IS NO ONE GOOD "NO NOT ONE" ALL HAVE FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD ELIZABETH: WAS THE PRINCIPALS KID A PROBLEM CHILD AS WELL? WHY IS IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THIS MAN DID THIS? STOP WORSHIPPING MAN AND STOP BEING R E L I G I O U S AND UNDERSTAND WHAT CHRISTIANITY REALLY IS!!
May 15, 2012, 7:08 pm
Mary Iacone from North Carolina says:
Devlin ( a priest at the parish) Papparelli ( principal at parish) mary ellen patricia (a nun from from the bishops office) from the bishops office all admitted that TWO boys were molested by Brady, one verbally and the other sexually and verbally. They blame his crime on the effects of a stroke. DA Hynes and Brady are very good friends and that is why there is no indictment. I told my nephew that these are not God like people and never lose your faith and comfort in Jesus, only the institution of the catholic church. All sins are forgiven, the scars remain
May 15, 2012, 7:19 pm
Matthew from Brooklyn says:
For rhose of you who say that the thirteen year old child "has been thrown out of many school" you are completely wrong. I've know this kid to be nothing less then a respectful, kind, and intelligent kid. But to accuse him of coming up with such a story is foolhardy. He may be imaginative like any other thirteen year old but to the extent of coming up with a story about himself getting molested is ridiculous. You people must be sick yourselfs thinking such radical thoughts.
May 16, 2012, 1:09 am
Richard Tollner from Mom & Dad from Brooklyn says:
Listen people, DONT think abusers stop when they get OLD. I have had former ADA (attorneys) tell me about aged abusers trying to abuse kids from their wheelchairs. I have seen cases, of an aged over 75 yr old approaching (adult) women for sexual activity. The desire doesnt retire when you do! Age is not a factor. Ask any healthy male (or female ) for that matter.

REVIEW Coached into Silence the movie by Chris Gavigan.. this is a real life look into an aging alleged pedophile (never convicted), but wait til you hear the pedophile speak.......

I BELIEVE the boys. The pattern is all too familiar.
I have seen it over 50 different times.

Accusation...
Denial...
Delay...
Blame the accusers...
Hide.
Who practices this...? the Roman Catholic Church.

Richard Tollner
Pro-Bono Child Sex Abuse Lobbyist
NY Vote for the Child victim's Act to Protect Kids
May 16, 2012, 5:22 pm
lifetime victim of sexual predator from marine park gerritsen beach sheepsead bay says:
I am from marine park and I was molested by a football coach . First let me start by saying the nightmares I had because of what happened to me. I never told anyone about what happened for 18 yrs because of shame embarassment nd knowing that since there was a statue of limitations on these monstorous crimes by the time I finally felt not so afraid to say something I couldnt bear to come out knowing that this piece of —— would just walk, for this boy to have the courage to come forward at such a u young age I commend him . For people to say that he is lying because they know the priest " AND HE WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS " let me tell you those are exactly the cowards that are doing it when people finally heard my story they where in shock about who it was but because of who I am and my personality people knew there was no lying involved . The d.a could drop the case but as the father knows there is but one man that will know the truth and who will be the final judge . Lets just pray that this young boy can recover mentally from thos cause not only was he molested he had the courage to come forward and then it was thrown in his face buy allowing the priest to walk without a fair trial for the boy
May 17, 2012, 1 pm
Julia says:
I almost laughed when I read the warped logic that Brady is too old to have committed such a crime. When I was 13 in the 1970's, a 90-something year old blind elderly neighbor asked me if I would help him make some phone calls b/c he could't see the numbers on the phone. Being the good Catholic girl and Girl Scout, there was no question I would help him out.

I dialed the newspaper deliverer and a local utility for him, and waited while he spoke to them about payments or whatever. As soon as he hung up, he grabbed me and went for my shorts. I pushed him away easily and went for the door. Due to his advanced age, I was strong enough to get away from him. I took off and never looked back, never WENT back, and kept my mouth shut.

I felt so gross afterwards and never told anyone for YEARS! Rumors about his perverse behavior in years past always circulated the neighborhood, yet because he was so "old" I did not feel it would be a problem to help him out.

Had I told anyone, I feared I would be in trouble..."Well everyone knows what a pervert he always was, so why did you go in there?" was the question I feared I'd be asked if I reported it.

Survivors need to keep talking. My hat's off to the 13 year old boy who chose to speak up. Know that for every rare child who does speak up, there are countless more who aren't speaking at all.
May 21, 2012, 1:58 am
Linda Gargiulo from NY & PA says:
It is very important work that SNAP is doing. We do really need your help.
May 24, 2012, 12:11 pm
John from Marine Park says:
If you knew the child who made all the false accusations and he addmitted to the non truth. Besides all the trouble this Kid has been in, you would think twice, to agree with his so called accusations, he has been a very rebellious child and kicked out of a few schools. I myself was a Alter boy and so were my brothers for Msg Brady, for many years and never ever once did he ever try anything on me or us, before you speak hurtful words about a wonderful man, like you live here and claim to know him, (from other parts of the country) When in fact your accusations clearly state you DO NOT know him at ALL.
June 1, 2012, 12:01 am
Tommy from New Jersey says:
I can understand the victim's family backing their son's / nephew's claims of what happen that day in the rectory, but what the hell do these other ——s from around the country have a right to convict (which they are doing) Msg Brady without knowing what happen! We don't need courts anymore, we can just try everyone over the internet.
Sept. 6, 2012, 1:48 pm
john from brooklyn says:
I worked with this man as an home health aide. hes too sick to do this thing they accuse him of doing. but who knows?
Sept. 12, 2012, 9:58 pm