Courier interview with Mindy Myers, the magenta yenta

Mindy Meyers: I want to liven up Albany

Ever since her ultra-pink, super-sassy campaign website appeared online last week, Flatbush’s new candidate for state senate says she’s been running through a 24-hour obstacle course of interviews as reporters try to figure out what makes the 22-year-old the New York Post calls the “magenta yenta” tick.

It wasn’t easy, but Meyer, an Orthodox Jewish conservative who will be facing state Sen. Kevin Parker (D–Flatbush) in November — and admitted to not knowing that Gov. Cuomo passed a historic same-sex marriage law last year — was able to take seven minutes from her busy day (we clocked it) so she could rattle off a few thoughts on her campaign, hydro fracking (which she calls “tampering with water”) and why all those bored legislators in Albany should fear a big, pink makeover.

Courier: Mindy! Thanks for taking a few minutes to talk to us. We can’t see you over the phone, but we’re sure your wearing that signature pink blazer. So, what’s the deal? How will your “Legally Blonde” outlook on life fit in Albany?

Meyer: I think it’s a perfect fit. The senators are probably bored up there. They need someone with my energy and ambition to inspire change. I’m like that energizer battery that keeps going and going. I wanted to sit down with them and show them my ideas and inspire them to take more action and help more people. But my favorite movie isn’t actually “Legally Blonde.” That was completely misreported.

Courier: Well, we strive to be accurate here, so what is your favorite movie?

Meyer: It’s really “The Notebook.”

Courier: Oh. Rock on. Let’s get back to the race. You’re 22-years-old, would you consider your age to be an asset or an obstacle?

Meyer: I see my age as an asset. Look at Mark Zuckerberg and how much he accomplished. I’m young, ambitious, and the younger people want an advocate for their future.

Courier: So what are you going to advocate for?

Meyer: I’m here to be an advocate for younger constituents and the young population, and I want to implement funding to help with that.

Courier: You’re not giving us much here, Mindy. Anything specific?

Meyer: There’s so much crime and we have to channel those energies into something positive. A lot of those people are brilliant and so we need to get them involved in positive things. My opponent has been in office for over 10 years and he recently held an employment fair, and it was very nice, but let’s focus on the children, who are our future, at a younger age. I’m not here to take more tax money from the people, but I’m going to take that money that already exists and put it into summer youth programs so in the future they will not have to go to employment fairs. I want to help them help themselves.

Courier: OK. Let’s talk about Parker for a minute. What makes you a better candidate than him?

Meyer: He’s been in office for over 10 years, and I spoke with many people in my district and asked them to tell me just one thing about Kevin Parker. Most people didn’t know him, and nobody could tell me one thing he’s done for them. So, there’s nothing to lose for voting for me.

Courier: So, because people don’t know Parker, they should vote for you?

Meyer: Why should he keep his tenure when he keeps screwing up? He prides himself by saying he did something for New York City water. We have Poland Spring!

We don’t need the senator tampering with the water.

If that’s all you have to show for 10 years in office, that’s a little embarrassing.

If you don’t trust me, I understand, but with me its 50/50. Parker is 100 percent not there.

Courier: So you’re 50 percent not there?

Meyer: My point is there’s nothing to lose voting for me.

Courier: Your campaign is, how shall we say it, unorthodox. Have you gotten any complaints from your Orthodox Jewish neighbors?

Meyer: No, because the image I’m presenting is not contradictory. There’s pictures of me on my website like any other senator, and, honestly, what’s unorthodox about pink?

I’m not sorry it’s pink, I’m excited. I just feel it will attract more people and get them to the voting booth.

Some people think I’m all pink, diva, and bling, but I’m here to represent what my people want and issues of substance.

I’m gathering international attention and I’m going to channel that into what people want to do in office. I think everybody has to relax.— Colin Mixson

Reach reporter Colin MIxson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Publius from Bklyn says:
That's it, civilization has finally and irrevocably collapsed when shockingly dumba$$ stuff like this passes for news.
Aug. 1, 2012, 11:43 am
Rob from Greenpoint says:
Dumber than a bag of hammers. Wow....
Aug. 1, 2012, 1:11 pm
Bob from Flatbush says:
"There’s nothing to lose voting for me". That's quite a slogan. She really sounds empty headed. BTW,Colin Mixson is the worst reporter on earth.
Aug. 1, 2012, 3:42 pm
Jen from Bklyn says:
If she doesn't know what laws have been passed, how can she run for office?

So who is she acting like a smoke screen for?
Aug. 1, 2012, 3:54 pm
joe joe from Flatbush says:
Was dumb blond a Fox movie?
Aug. 1, 2012, 4:42 pm
sara from brooklyn says:
i think u can do it go mindy
Aug. 1, 2012, 4:49 pm
David L. from Flatbush says:
Finally someone that has a pair! (jk :)
I think she has more then a good chance - I think she's awesome!!!
I love the way she believes in people and wants to help them take responsibility for their lives.

I'm not sure whats motivating all the haters that commented earlier..
Aug. 2, 2012, 2:49 am
Skellatosis from Bk says:
Wow. Is that a mask in her face? I saw this idiot on good day ny and she couldn't even identify people from Albany. No one in their right mind will vote for the twit. Stick to shopping pinky.
Aug. 2, 2012, 6:53 am
Rob from Greenpoint says:
David L you're kidding right?
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:11 am
Alicia from Canarsie says:
..I'm a 27 year old African American female I love green my favorite movie is Roots and I like helping people. I should've thrown my hat into the ring.

It's pretty sad that our options for senator are a seasoned politician who has violently assaulted people and young woman who admittedly lacks knowledge of the facts.
:-(.
Aug. 4, 2012, 9:01 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
David - i agree - she cannot be any worse and it would be nice to have an elected official you would like to bank instead of the official banging the people
Aug. 6, 2012, 9:32 am
Robert from Flatbush says:
For starters, she claims to be an orthodox Jew but she must have one of the most liberal rabbis in the world,

She sees this as a stepping stone to Washington, or reality T.V. Apparently it's the same to her.

She attacks Sen. Parker because all he did in ten years was something about the water for NYC. She has no idea how important the water supply is to NYC. She seems not to understand the issues involved. I doubt she even knows why or how water comes out of her faucet.

She said a senator should be involved in NYC water. does she not understand how important protecting the water shed? If Parker protected the watershed that;s enough.

She thinks Albany is a dull party she needs to liven up, not a legistrative body.

In one interview she didn't seem to know who the governor was.

She has turned my district into a joke. The process is bad enough
Oct. 28, 2012, 2:46 am