Judge Joanna rules on ‘nanny murder’

I know she did it, you know she did it, and she knows she did it. So why is child-slaying nanny Yoselyn Ortega pleading not guilty?

Oh, yeah, that’s right: she’s suffering from mental and financial difficulties and resented the family for whom she was working because they wanted her to take on extra hours to make extra money.

Really? Working harder to make more money is grounds for murder? This caused her such angst that she felt compelled to slay two innocent children.

What a concept. Work hard and you can take a life or two. I can just imagine the horror she felt when her bosses told her she could make more money if she worked more. My oh my. What was that inhuman family thinking.

All together now: “Oh I’m sorry, I have financial troubles and I resent having to work.”

Well there’s a good enough reason. Excuse me but I have to go and get a knife and slash my employer to death.

Reasonable — ain’t it?

Yeah, yeah, I know — innocent until proven guilty. Blah, blah, blah.

But we know she’s guilty — she was caught red handed, literally with the knife in her hand.

Not merely guilty but a whole lot of nervy too. From her hospital bed she had the unmitigated cheek to ask not to have the press present at her bedside arraignment.

What a sham. Plead not guilty then ask for special consideration.

Two innocents are dead at her hands and “she does not wish.” Who gives a damn what she wishes.

Ortega gave up any right to her “wishes” the minute she picked up that knife.

If she was so worried about the press being present, she should have plead guilty, requested the judge to lock the cell door behind her, and throw away the key, thereby effectively saving us, the taxpayers, loads of money in a needless trial and the parents a whole lot of pain and suffering in having to relive that horror again in court.

No trial, no press, no problem.

Thank god judge Lewis Bart Stone refused the request.

But I would have told her to be thankful she was in a nice warm bed in a hospital instead of a cell in Rikers.

Oh, and stop asking for any special favors.

Not for Nuthin,™ I know public defenders have to do their jobs to the best of their abilities but making pleas of not-guilty when they know the client is guilty as sin and asking for privacy from the press shouldn’t be part of it.

Follow me on Twitter @JDelBuono.

Joanna DelBuono writes about local issues — and criminal justice — every Wednesday on BrooklynDaily.com. E-mail her at jdelbuono@cnglocal.com.

Jody from Brooklyn says:
I agree with you 100%. Where does this woman get off pleading not guilty? She is just trying to make it as hard as possible on the parents. She knows she is going to prison, but she wants them to have to sit through a trial and hear all the horrible details of the kids murders.
Dec. 8, 2012, 1:47 pm
Charlotte from Upper West Side says:
This nanny has the worst case of entitlement I have ever seen.
I am sorry she did not bleed out just as the poor babies did. I am sorry this case will cost everyone too much money, but hope she will never see the light of day, and will be put in the general population of the jail. Her piers will take care of the Biatch
Dec. 9, 2012, 9:49 am
Chris from NYC says:
This is a sad excuse for an article, Joanna. The only facts that you've managed to gather are from a link to another news website. All of your statements and remarks are purely based on your emotions. With a statement like -" innocent until proven guilty. Blah, blah, blah." You cannot be serious! You call yourself a "Judge" yet you make assumptions on misinformation. Do us all a favor - before spouting your nonsense all over the web, get your facts together and emotions out of the way.
Dec. 26, 2012, 7:01 pm
Anonymous from Sheepshead Bay says:
Good for you, Chris, you read my mind. This so called "columnist" and her sad little ideas are bringing down the level of intelligence in Brooklyn. Glad that I'm leaving this place.
By the way, Charlotte, it is "peers", not "piers"...a pier is an object, not people.
Dec. 27, 2012, 8:55 am
Linda from Orlando, Fl says:
I agree with Chris and Anonymous. I am appalled at the emotional statements of this judge. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinions. However a judge or any member of the judicial system is bound by a code of ethics or should be. Where is the due diligence?
Dec. 31, 2012, 1:02 am
Anonymous from Sheepshead Bay says:
Thanks, Linda. I was a nanny for many years and though I don't think that what this nanny did is ethical or even sane, I do know how some families can be. Sometimes when I was working for a family, I felt that I was nothing more than a robot like Rosie from the Jetsons. I cooked, I cleaned, I took care of the children and treated them like they were my own, but I was nothing more than a robot to be put away when not needed, something that was not entitled to feelings and wants. When it came to my own life or needs. alot of the time, the mother treated me like I was somehow inferior to her and sometimes was surprised whenever I mentioned my own family and my obligations to them. I feel terrible about what this nanny did because these innocent children shouldn't have to pay for her problems with this family. However, I don't think that this columnist should be so limited in her views and I'm sure that we don't know all the details in this case. After all, the police and attorneys will not release every little detail about the crime and what took place.
I've read other columns written by this person and I see that this is her way...limited ideas and general stupidity. Case in point, if she is so compassionate, why was her column regarding Hurricane Sandy focusing on her love of Oreos and there is nothing about the pain and suffering of people who lost everything, including their children to this storm????
Dec. 31, 2012, 9:14 am
Gloria from Queens NY says:
This Nanny Joselin. She not deserve any consideration in the trial she is guilty I hope she never have peace in her. Mind she is a. criminal person. and she is a lazy woman if we want money we have to work hard but just people unlazy dosnt. care how how hard has to work
Jan. 1, 2013, 8:24 pm
Anonymous from Sheepshead Bay says:
Two things, Gloria:

1) Please learn English grammar and punctuation before writing to express your pathetic "opinion"

2) If we didn't have a fair trial and did things your way by condemning everyone, we would have a country like whatever hell hole country you came from.
Jan. 2, 2013, 11:58 pm
Husband of Anonymous from Sheepshead Bay says:
I'm so proud of my wife. If you say anything stupid she will use your own stupidity against you. Consider this a warning.

To Gloria, odds are that if you can't read this article then you can't articulate an opinion. Become literate then we might just consider your views.

Idiots like you are why an authoritarian system can destroy our civil liberties and have us convicted before we have a day in court.

Until you have reading comprehension skills and are literate, please be quite. Hold an opinion when you can understand what you are reading and/or writing . If you can not adequately understand the written world around you then say nothing because we can not value your opinion.
Jan. 3, 2013, 12:15 am
Cara from New Jersey says:
The woman is mentally ill and was showing specific signs of psychosis, which is no different from diabetes in that it is a chronic, biologically-based mental illness. She was having trouble sleeping. She was under tremendous stress. She was having hallucinations. She began drinking to self medicate. It is sad that in her family, in her culture and IN her employers realm and in OUR CULTURE, we fail to recognize and treat biologically based mental illness as the biological disease it is.

Every childcare worker should have a mandatory mental health exam and requirement for paid 2 week leave if they do not pass said exam. Clearly to keep her job she was trying to mask her symptoms from her employer. It is just so sad that her family and others did not recognize the symptoms and try to get her help from a psychiatrist who is a medical dr and can prescribe medication that can cure. When in jail she gets the treatment she needs you an rest assure she will spend the rest of her life aware and haunted by what she did, to these kids, who by all accounts were like her own children. Women suffering from mental illness kill their own biological children. It doesn't mean they don't love them.
Jan. 15, 2013, 11:18 am
Stacey from Miami says:
I applaud the columnist. Yoselyn complained that the family didn't treat her well. Well guess what she should have done---she should have packed her bags and got a new job. No one forced her to stay in an unpleasant work environment. I'm sick of this country pointing fingers at others when tragedy strikes. This nanny knows damn well what she did. Stop blaming mental illness. No kidding she was mentally unstable. So with that defense she is ENTITLED to plead not guilty?
The nazis killed millions--Did they all claim they suffered from some form of a mental illness during the Nuremberg trials after the murdered millions?
Jan. 16, 2013, 12:31 pm
Stacey from Miami says:
@ Cara paid two week leave? You must be kidding. Why should an employer be financially responsible for an employee to undergo a mental health assessment? Upon an employee passing drug tests, mental health tests, etc them then can begin their job and be placed on the payroll.
Clearly you don't own a business, have no problem with unnecessary gov't spending, and tax hikes.
Jan. 16, 2013, 12:41 pm