Forbidden moves! Ridge board wants to bar dancing at controversial club

Community Board 10 members blasted owners of a wild Fourth Avenue Brazilian supper club for allowing dance parties without a permit, but — much like the Bomont town council in “Footloose” — is stopping the club’s owner from getting the proper paperwork needed so his patrons can shake their groove things legally.

The board’s police and safety committee unanimously panned Club Amnesia’s request for a cabaret licence, which would allow dancing at their hall between 100th and 101st streets, on Feb. 15, claiming that neighbors have repeatedly complained about the club’s noise, trash-strewn sidewalks, rampant illegal parking, and patrons vomiting in public.

There have also been several arrests at the club, committee chairman George Fontas noted.

“Besides the significant community issues, they’re breaking the law,” Fontas said, referring to the club’s failure to get a cabaret licence.

Club manager Charles Atiles admits that his patrons dance the night away, but says he never knew he had to get a cabaret license.

He then accused CB10 of refusing to give his business a chance to make things right.

“The community board failed us,” he said. But CB10 — who in recent years have taken a hard line against loud clubs — said it was Atiles’s responsibility to make sure he was obeying city rules.

“You should have come to us before you opened up a night club,” Fontas told Atiles.

The committee was clearly against Club Amnesia getting a cabret license and the full board will most likely deny the request when they vote on the issue tonight, but the city may still authorize one, since the board’s opinion is only advisory in nature.

Club Amnesia’s owners turned a failed Brazilian steak house into an events hall last summer, spending more than $1 million to convert the space into a party spot that hosts dance parties “where the best DJ’s in the city spin,” according to one advertisement.

But neighbors say the owners have allowed rowdy patrons to take over the otherwise quiet part of Fourth Avenue.

“We have a great view, but on the weekends you look around and there’s a bunch of thugs,” said Carol Wolf, who has lived in the neighborhood for 40 years. “This is the most disgraceful business I’ve ever seen in this space.”

Cops responded to numerous 311 noise complaints against the club last year and residents lodged 20 complaints against the business with Community Board 10, officials said.

But Atiles said he fixed most of these problems when he fired the club’s old security firm in January.

There have been no complaints since then, the 68th Precinct confirmed.

Paul from Bay Ridge says:
I think that the fact that the neighbors of this club don't seem to want a large dance club, and that the owner has already broken rules by running his club without a cabaret license (which is fairly commonly known as a requirement) - there should be no consideration of giving this man a license.
Being that it is now Februrary, to say that there have been no complaints since January is fairly meaningless.
Feb. 27, 2012, 10:05 am
jeane from bay ridge says:
Bay Ridge businesses are slowly dying and and I find it unreal that people of the same community have nothing better to do than complain about dancing.
How many clubs operate with out a cabaret liscense.
Everything is astronomical in price and the board of health is not helping businesses either.Pretty soon we will have no where to go in Bay Ridge and it looks
like we will be seeing more vacant store fronts .
Century Village should open up shop!
Feb. 28, 2012, 10:48 am
Evie from Bay Ridge says:
@jeane -
I have no idea what you are talking about. The bay ridge I see everyday is full of shops and nightlife. I've never seen a storefront vacant for a long time.
There is no reason to beg low-class, and clearly obnoxious businesses to stay. I will be glad, personally, if theis business closed down. It would prvide space for something nicer to open up instead. The expensive rennovation of this building was done in a tasteless, and tacky way. The clientelle are not local people, and are not very nice. Finally I also believe that there are very few, if any dancing spots that operate without a cabaret license.
Feb. 29, 2012, 6:34 am
Mi Shumana from Bay Ridge says:
Thank God CB10 will not recommend license to Amnesias. Like the name, I hope we forget about them soon. Noise, obnoxious patrons, booming music from parked cars while people scream outside is ridiculous. They had more than enough time to handle it right and do well by residents. Million renovations? All they care about is the money but will not spend $50.00 for someone to keep area quiet while customers go straight home an not stand shouting partying when people are in bed. Do not do it now it is too late.

Fights, screaming vomiting outside all residents care about it the crap outside resulting from what was put in their drinks inside to make them act like animals. Since Amnesias does not care we dont either. Close Amnesias!
Feb. 29, 2012, 1:33 pm
mr.dance man from Bayridge says:
Please folks give me a break. this is NYC . they call us the city that never sleeps for a reason. if your having problems with loud noises , loud music. and people trying to have a good time dancing then your should move to suburbs or to another state that is not NYC. . Because thats why its called a City. People from all around the world comes to NYC to have a great time right in all different ways. can your imagine new york city being totally quiet. Then NYC will really be in big trouble with no venue coming in from all around the world. So the folks that have problems with Amnesia's lets be real its more importants things to worry about then 1 dance club in NYC. What your should be worried about are Guns in the streets and Crime in the street.
March 2, 2012, 1:19 am
Samuel from Bay Ridge says:
Unreal, that my neighbors are concerned about the beautiful Amnesia. I ate their when they served Brazilian food and enjoyed it. Gone too soon but then again the economy is a murderer these days. As a club I have not tried it but did get to dance at a party hosted by a friend for his 16 year old daughters birthday party. Are they criminals too for dancing... was I? Oh, my goodness the prohibition age has returned, but only to Bay Ridge! Arrogant Board Members, shame on you! Instead of slapping Amnesia on the wrist for not kissing your" proverbial ring" for a cabaret licence and moving on you have engaged in this pious position that will ignite this community against you on other future matters . Have you noticed the double parked cars during the daylight hours on 3rd , 4th, and even 5th avenues between the belt at 101st street as far as the 60's....and you are concerned about the night parking after 10 or 11 pm... come on.. stop playing games with those who are investing in Bay Ridges future. I hope that the Dept of Consumer Affairs realizes the political games you are playing at the expense of other Brooklyn residents who choose to patronize the Bay Ridge business. Maybe our board needs to be reminded that they do not have the right to draw community lines preventing other New Yorker's from enjoying Bay Ridge for whatever their motivation, be it the musical choice , cultural divide or the complexion of their skin. Just a reminder!
March 2, 2012, 5:25 am
Alex Choi from Bay Ridge says:
I agree with prohibiting amnesia, which is a outstanding idea. I am a 6th grader, trying to go to school while the criminals acting as amnesia members are dancing with music and partying around while I can't sleep. Club Amnesia is opened in the middle of the night while music and customers dancing, and partying. They have trans-passed into our homes, on 100th street. They also double park in the streets, which blocks the road. They also get drunk and then they drive, while they drunk and drive, they hit other cars, and then there becomes accidents! Then cops come and try to figure out what is going on in the middle of the night, and then they notice that there is a car accident, and then frustrate people. Sometimes they also something fight. Club Amnesia doesn't have a cabaret license, they aren't even permitted to put on music while dancing. I also lack on my test grades, as long as my regular grades because of Club Amnesia. Amnesia clearly doesn't care about the residents around them, so we don't really care about what they do, and how they react to us. What I do, is just ignore it what they say to me. I am pleased that they closed Club Amnesia.
March 3, 2012, 11:44 pm
A Bay Ridge Resident Speaks!!! from Bay Ridge says:
I wasn't going to respond or place my voice in this neighborhood battle, but after reading the "six year old" Alex Choi's statement I was convinced that my silence would resemble that of people during the 50's and 60's in the south who said and did nothing during the injustices of the civil rights movement. shame on the individual who chose to compose what appears to be a "bogus" comment to convince me and my neighbors that this six year old wrote the comment i saw here. Bad English, spelling and misused words will not convince me, just a little smarter than that to the adult who wrote the comment. Lets start with the Amnesia people clearly have Friday parties, and the last time i checked there is NO school on Saturdays. so the claim that school is in the morning is hilarious...
Oh, and yes the concept of the six year old comprehending anything about a cabaret license is even funnier. I still don't understand it and I am an adult. I thought in this free country we could, speak, disagree, and dance without the government regulating us. I think this six grader needs more time with his parents, tutors and spelling . It really doesn't matter to me because if he is able to state "I also lack on my test grades..." so adult like and can compose this letter then he is doing rather well at six but if this is more like a 60 year old wishing to convince us all he/she is a kid ... get it together already...

by the way no one is an idiot... shame on you... faker!
March 6, 2012, 3:33 am
CB 10 Reeks of Racism from Bay Ridge says:
To those in Community Board 10, your process and actions should be reviewed by the federal government. Are you attempting to keep a racial divide in bay ridge? Or maybe by making minorities from surrounding communities either unwelcome or preventing events that cater to Latinos, African Americans in bay ridge to guarantees that the 1-2 percent of Latin residents wont get larger. I think you have gone way too far this tme... Amnesia should contact a lawyer... Class action lawsuit should be seriously looked at if CB 10 is successful.
March 6, 2012, 3:43 am