Stan got some questions for you to answer

Questions, questions, questions.

Some need answers. Others do not. Sometimes the question isn’t a question at all, but a statement.

• Do you think that a massacre such as the tragedy in Newtown can be prevented? Oh, sure. You’re ready to shout, “Get rid of all guns.” If it were only that simple. With brand new laws around the corner, a few weapons will go, but there will always be some with us.

• Is the National Rifle Association right about putting armed policemen in schools? Many schools already have them, along with metal detectors. Various political people argue that this plan is too expensive, but how much is the life of a student worth?

• Why is that particular part of our body known as the funny bone? Hit it when you shouldn’t and the last thing you want to do is laugh.

• Everybody knows that texting while driving is dangerous. What would you consider a fair punishment when stopped by a cop for texting while driving? A $150 fine, a $500 fine, or three nights in the can? What’s your thinking on this?

• Why is Soledad such a fabissener?

• Why is President Obama afraid to release his college records? Is there something in there that embarrasses him? Like, maybe he failed ethics?

• Why are so many of us that are anti-drug use in baseball and football still refusing to believe that Lance Armstrong was doping?

• Are you happy that “Jersey Shore” has been cancelled? Did you ever watch it? Why not?

• Are they still making “M*A*S*H” only now they’re calling them reruns? I saw two episodes last week that I swear I never saw before.

• Why do those people applaud at the closing bell even when the Dow is down a lot?

• Why aren’t football players permitted to celebrate after scoring a touchdown? Score a goal in hockey and your teammates hug you like your lover would. Hit a walk-off home run and the bench will clear. Rejoice after a touchdown? That’s a penalty.

• If “it’s not the price, but the thought that counts,” why do so many people run to the Internet to see how much the gift-giver paid for that thought?

• Why do we borrow money and give it away to foreign countries? Why do we give so much money to countries that hate us?

• Do you consider Al Gore an expert on global warming? If you do, you are in the minority. Even after winning a Nobel Prize for his work in that area, only 24 percent of the nation considers him an authority — 59 percent give him the thumbs down. The rest are busy watching cartoons.

• Do you think movies are overpriced? Yes but we don’t care. The many millions of dollars they gross prove that we go anyway.

• Wherever I go, I see people talking on their cellphones. I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone booth. Tell me, where does Clark Kent go to change his clothes?

• When did this nation lose the power of successful espionage? Do the Torricelli Principles have any meaning here?

• And finally, besides your pledge to stop smoking and promise to lose weight, how many New Year resolutions did you make? How many have you already broken? Which ones? I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net making a resolution to never make resolutions again.

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.

tinman from Sheepshead Bay says:
I've got questions for Mr. Gershbein:
Why are you always complaining about Democrats?
Why don't you ever have words of derision for Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh, two of the nastiest commentators on the air?
Who was the last president to release his college transcripts?
Guess you haven't been paying attention to televised pigskin games. The Jets' Victor Cruz does his salsa dance every time he scores. Other players do their thing, too. It's only when they overdo it that they're penalized.
Though you'd never admit it, O'Reilly's more of a fabissener than Soledad.
What good are guns, except for killing? No one needs 'em, except law enforcement and active military personnel or criminals up to no good?
So many conservatives are unwilling to support healthcare but are avid about putting a gun in every home.
Ain't that America!
Jan. 14, 2013, 3:57 pm
David from Mill Basin says:
To Tinman: You sound like so frustrated, so envious, simply craving to publish your thoughts. Why don't you apply for a job as a columnist instead of making yourself appear as a fool always elaborating on Mr. Gershbein's interesting columns. A columnist has only a set amount of space on which to write; thusly, he/she will try to keep readers' interest by choosing a few topics without fleshing out each and every one. Keeps readers interested, and maybe reader will research certain topics for more info.
Make sense, Tinman? Sure hpow so. My opinion is that you are a frustrated, jealous, wanna-be columnist, a liberal--so very open-minded that your brain fell out.
Thought for the day, Tinman...Obama wants to take guns away from citizens BUT will personally have lifetime protection. Is that fair? Why is he special?
Jan. 14, 2013, 6:03 pm
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
David, I'm sure Tinman doesn't need me to defend his words because he seems to do a great job articulating his thoughts.
My question to you is why do you compare persons who thinks for themselves as a liberal? Also why do you chastise Tinman for responding to Mr. Gershbein's questions even though Stan requested a response? I would think that someone who is confident in what they say and believe to be what they say as truth, would have no problem answering questions on their beliefs. It's obvious by your rant you apparently get 99% of your information from Fox news network and the conservative talking heads actors on radio who get paid very well to bash anyone that don't concur to their beliefs.
And lastly, why are conservatives so angry?
Jan. 14, 2013, 9:04 pm
David from Mill Basin says:
Tinman, aka Bob from Gerritsen Beach,
You are pitifully bitter. Have you nothing to do but try to berate Mr. Gershbein (and others, I am sure)? I am well aware of your past attempted put-downs. You are apparently a mean-spirited person without many friends, but I am sure you're extraordinarily pleasant in three minute doses.
Sit back, relax, and smell the roses, while they're still not being taxed by our Supreme President.
Oh, your reference to college transcripts...Geo Bush's and Bill Clinton's college papers have been made public. How about yours? Did you even go to college? Bet it was the College of Snide Remarks. Pitiful Tinman.
Jan. 15, 2013, 9:17 pm
Stan from Florida says:
"Mean spirited" David - One other person used that phrase in describing him. Are you connected to her?
Jan. 16, 2013, 5:25 am
Stan from Florida says:
OOOPS! It should have read:
"Mean Spirited."
David - One other person used that phrase in describing him? Are you connected to her?
Jan. 16, 2013, 6:55 am
Bob from Gerritsen Beach says:
So David, a.k.a. Stan, you assume that Tinmen and I are the same OK then I'll respond to you and your diatribe.
It's interesting that you had the time to respond to me but not to have the time to answer any of my questions to you/Stan. It's also interesting that you refer to my co-contributor from Sheepshead Bay as "pitifully bitter" while you're the only one on this thread that is getting personal and insulting when replying to our point of view.

Again I ask, why are conservatives so angry?
Jan. 16, 2013, 11:39 pm
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Q: Who is shouting "Get rid of all guns?"

A: Nobody
Jan. 17, 2013, 6:05 am
Stan from Florida says:
Neil - You found me out. Not only do I hide under the name of David, I do a lot of writing under other names such as John Grisham, Tom Clancy and Ken Follet.
David - Please contact me. My Email address is at the end of every column. I want to tell you how Neil shot himself in the leg with his "mean spirited" comments.
Jan. 18, 2013, 7:12 am
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Q: Why is Stan saying that people are shouting "Get rid of all guns"

A: Because he is a troll.

Jan. 18, 2013, 7:18 am
Stan from BROOKLYNDAILY.COM says:
Hiya C.U. - Nice hearing from you again. The answer to your question is....Because there are. One poll on the net has GET RID OF ALL GUNS EXCLUDING LAW ENFORCEMENT as one of the choices. So far one of every six has endorsed that choice. 15% is far from a majority but where I am they are very loud.
You'll find it along with several commentaries on the subject when you Google the five words -GET RID OF ALL GUNS.
Thanks for writing.
Stan
Jan. 18, 2013, 8:50 am
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Really, I Googled "GET RID OF ALL GUNS", and did not find so much real support for that.

Can you provide me a link to what you are talking about. The "poll on the net". What net are you talking about?
Jan. 18, 2013, 8:45 pm
Applepie from Brooklyn says:
Stanley G. ...Why are you giving Tinman an audience? He's apparently mentally challenged and doesn't mind humiliating himself.
Remember, sucess engenders admiration (many admire your words) and friends, failure begets anger (Tinman's usual rants) and too much idle time.

Jan. 19, 2013, 8:05 pm
STAN from BROOKLYNDAILY.COM says:
TO CHICKEN UNDERWEAR - Just returned from a weekend away and found your January 18th, 8:45 PM comment. My response will appear in a column in 2 weeks.
Thanks for writing.
STAN
Jan. 20, 2013, 7:51 pm
ChickenUnderwear from Park Slope says:
I can't wait to read your hate / fear mongering column.
Jan. 23, 2013, 7:34 pm