Treyger wins, proving Carmine is right again!

I’m madder than a communist holding on to hope that the system that made Lennon and McCartney famous is bound for a comeback, only to realize that all the guys who moved here from Russia are now running for office the American way — and winning! — over the fact that writers and politicians today use passive language to get their point across instead of just coming out and saying what they mean in the in-your-face style of great communicators such as your’s truly.

Look, you all know that the English language is the linguistic embodiment of our national ethos — and that is that we are men and women of action. We actually do things. We take the bull by the horns. We pull ourselves up by our bootstraps! So it will come as no surprise to you that whenever I pick up a copy of locally produced international broadsheets, I nearly throw up when I read all that stuff that beats around the bush instead of getting to the point.

Folks, it’s as if they are writing this stuff in Russian or some other passive language that don’t even have a way of saying people have things. You wanna know how they say “My sister has a dog” in Russian? It’s “At the sister’s, there is a dog.” And how about “It’s snowing outside.”? Simple: “Outside, there is snow.” It is ridiculous!

Thankfully, many Russians moved here and learned to speak actively like all Americans should, including my pal Mark Treyger, who just won a seat in the City Council.

Why am I talking up Treyger? Because I practically made him (and when I say “practically” I mean “not at all”).

But I have known Treyger since he was a young man. He entered District 21’s Project Learn’s Anti-Racism contest, which I’m proud to say was solely my brainchild. “Learn” stood for “Let’s End All Racism Now” and was the district’s premium showcase, done with all the fanfare and hullaballoo of the Oscars (Bensonhurst West End Community Council-style.)

Now let me set this straight from the get-go: it was entirely my idea and drive that got it going, but it would not have gotten no where without all the dedicated help from the teachers, staff, and supervisors of District 21 and those of Kingsborough Community College. However, to go back and thank every one that contributed to its success would take volumes. So I’ll take the credit for it, as I often do whenever I meet the parents on the streets who recall their child receiving a medal at my alma matters, Kingsborough Community College of Performing Arts.

So not only had I met the future councilman through this, but also worked with him for 10 years at Assemblyman Bill Colton’s office, where I used to work. The Bensonhurst West End Annual 44th Gala honored Mark Treyger as an outstanding community activist, before he became the president of the Progressive Democratic Club, before he became a teacher at New Utrecht High School, before he married his lovely bride and before he became a father to their baby boy. You would think with so many responsibilities, how does he do it? Well, here’s the story I dug up. (Literally. It’s one of my famous cut-and-pastes that drive my editor nuts).

Mark was the first member of his family to be born in the United States way back in 1982. His parents, sister, grandparents, uncles, and aunts all immigrated from the Ukraine. Mark grew up in Bensonhurst, where he attended PS 226 from pre-K to eighth grade, then attended Edward R. Murrow High School and followed his sister’s footsteps to Baruch College. His sociology professor approached him and asked if he was a member of any political organization — and thus began his political saga.

Mark transferred to Brooklyn College and majored in political science. He was president of the United Progressive Democratic Club and the group Revitalizing Our Community, which focused on youth giving back to the community.

Did I mention that not only is Mark dynamic, but always a gentleman, extremely likeable, and totally efficient? Imagine all those virtues in a politician. They should all strive for the standard that Mark has set! I would always introduce Mark at any of my BWECC! meetings as the future mayor of New York City. And apparently, he’s taken the first step towards it.

Incidentally, the week of Sept. 23, BWECC! will resume its Open Community Meetings at 2475 W. 16th St. and the first Wednesday on Oct. 2, our free ballroom dance classes will resume at Seth Low IS 96, 99 Avenue P. Call Joe Rizz, at (718) 232–2266, for details.

Screech at you next week!

Read Carmine's screech every Saturday on BrooklynDaily.com. E-mail him at diegovega@aol.com.

Frank from Brooklyn says:
Watch out Carmine for your words as you taking on more than you can swallow here, by saying "Why am I talking up Treyger? Because I practically made him.."

Because these guys here will strongly dispute that claim and say they made him and own him!

REBNY (a.k.a) JOBS4NY remember all those glossy mailers. for a total cost of $500,000 yes that is HALF A MILLION DOLLARS THEY SPENT TO ELECTING THEIR (OWN)

here is the President of REBNY they main shpherd and owner of the new 18 council members including your very own Mark Treyger from BERGEN BEACH! WATCH IT HERE, YOU CAN NOT MAKE THIS STUFF UP:

Sept. 23, 2013, 10:42 am
Frank from Brooklyn says:
Oh and stop the lying for sake

"his lovely bride and before he became a father to their baby boy"

Baby boy??? what boy???
Sept. 23, 2013, 10:44 am
Joey from Benson says:
great read here as well http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2013/38/all_childsbuildingprotest_2013_09_20_bk.html
Sept. 23, 2013, 2:24 pm
Carolyn from Coney says:
Lisyanski and Dobrin still very upset from crushing defeat Treyger delivered to them in one punch! Guys, stop whining, and get a job! Treyger is going to City Hall, but you John, soon going to be in the street. May be, if you going to be nice, Treyger is going to rent you a basement appartment in his glass Bergen Beach mansion.Or even better. Why wouldn't you move to my building in Coney? In the apartment below me lives a 400 pound black guy Mandigo, who just few weeks ago came back from a slammer, and who loves guys with blue eyes and firm buttoms. Enjoy!
Sept. 25, 2013, 8:06 am
Mary from Shore says:
Andy Sullivan will trash this boy from Bergen Beach and send him back to school. WHO THE HELL NEEDS THIS SORT OF CORRUPTION IN OUR DISTRICT?

SAY NO TO TREYGER AND REBNY DO NOT SELL YOUR VOTE!
Sept. 25, 2013, 1:58 pm
Nick from Benson says:
Yesterday I was at the bar, and, guess, who I saw there? Andy Sullivan was there , drinking with another woman. He was broke because he was asking the woman to pay for his shots. Dear Mary, I think you should help him out too, since the guy is homeless. I also think that him and Lisyanskiy could be roommates one day. And even better, Dobrin brothers could introduce them to the developers in Staten Island.
Sept. 25, 2013, 6:31 pm
Sal from Gravesend says:
Soon the Colton/Treyger Waste Transfer Station will be open and we'll have a special-interest owned councilman to match our special-interest owned assemblyman.
Sept. 27, 2013, 2:43 pm
Tony from Dyker Hights says:
Your future Counsilman has many special interests. But he also cares about his former opponents. He kindly asked me to get a job for two bozzos who ran against him. Next year we are opening up a new 35 million bathroom complex on boardwalk. Since the midget loves the boardwalk so much, he will get a better position- giving shower to squatters and junkies. Another potz-blond mental case will recycle the toilet paper after it was used, and ship it to his friend Reccia, who will sell it to Dobrin's brother. I will make sure that everyone is happy. Marry Christmas to all the loosers!
Sept. 28, 2013, 4:51 pm
Jeff from Sea Gate says:
Tony, that is really funny! you are hilarious! the one with the toilet paper running around is Treyger your future councilman wiping the ass of Bill Colton and his new master David Greenfield. Who runs the bensonhurst, Coney Island, sea gate now? that's right it is orthodox Jewish man from Borough park. That is where Treyger needs no training, he has been wiping Colton's ass for many years.

Treyger will have to go for training to Jobs for new york session, also knows as Real Estate Board of New York, so he knows how to react when the strings are pulled to the left to the right well you get the point!!
Sept. 30, 2013, 9:34 am
Irina from Gravesend says:
Jeff aka John,

John are you still upset that you lost? The worst is that you came in last place, even Dobrin got more votes. Well, like master and her puppet - Quinn and her puppet John came in third place together. How sweet. Now John, don't be a sore loser. If you were a real mensch, you would unite the party instead of dividing it. Be a man, John!!
Sept. 30, 2013, 2:14 pm
Pat from Cropsey says:
Once that Colton waste transfer station opens we're all doomed anyway.
Oct. 4, 2013, 3:56 pm
Cornelius McGraw from Dyker Heights says:
Nick from Benson: I'd LOVE to know what bar that was!! Contact me! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thetruthandysullivan/
Oct. 6, 2013, 3:31 pm
Big Screecher from Bensonhurst West End says:
After many years of being on the take just like Treyger, the Big Screecher has finally HAD IT! I'm a new man folks, and I feel better than a bird rescued from an oil spill. I can finally screech the TRUTH and tell you all that Treyger is a Faker, nuttin' but a little puppa for my old patron ABC Colton. As you know I was the greatest school board chair that ever lived and it just makes me mad as hell to see this opportunist waltz into a council seat like the dancers at Seth Low! Wake up folks, and say no to the big string pullers on election day and stand with the Big Screecher!!
Oct. 15, 2013, 7:36 pm
David Gussin from Wantagh, NY says:
Carmine Santa maria is a real go-getter, a real mover and shaker in Brooklyn and any room he's in. He did an excellent job putting together the LEARN - Let's End All Racism Now Oratorical Contest ... but when reading this article ...

He entered District 21’s Project Learn’s Anti-Racism contest, which I’m proud to say was solely my brainchild. “Learn” stood for “Let’s End All Racism Now” ...

you would think he created the message, he did not. Actually the name of who created it is un-important, but laying 'sole' claim to it isn't right either. Aside from that, nice work Mr. Santa Maria!!!
March 27, 11:42 pm