Gershbein sounds off on Ariel Castro

Stan on Iraq, Syria, and the dead rapists

I was not thrilled when America went to war in Iraq. I remember answering the question, “Don’t you feel sorry for those poor people over there?”

“Yes I do feel sorry for them,” I responded. “But I feel even more sorry for the families of our boys in the military coming home in body bags.”

One reader, with a daughter in the military, was extremely upset because I wrote “our boys.” She had a lot to say about me forgetting about our courageous women. I wrote a personal apology to her, and thanked her daughter for her service.

Today we are faced with more questions. Do we bomb Syria? Which side do we support after the bombing? What guarantee will we have that the bombing will not be followed up with boots on the ground? And the tearjerker of all — don’t you feel sorry for those children that were gassed?

Yes. Of course I feel sorry for them. But I feel even sorrier for the military men and women that will be returning without limbs and I feel mostly sorry for the families — parents, wives and children of those who will be returning to America in boxes.

We have spent a great deal of blood and money protecting the world. Now there are many who want us to spend what we don’t have to go to war to protect people that hate us, anyway. Let us spend a little more time thinking about protecting ourselves. Syria’s neighbors, Turkey, and the Arab League need to be involved here. The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia are among the richest nations on the planet. Turkey, with its 400,000 troops, is one of the most powerful. Why are those leaders not concerned with the problems of their neighbors? If they are, they certainly aren’t showing it.

• • •

Ariel Castro is the bastard that kidnapped and raped three women and held them captive in his home for a decade. America woke up to the news one morning last week that this lowlife rat committed suicide in his prison cell…..and a loud cheer ascended all over this nation. Hooray!

At this moment the Ohio prison authorities are starting an investigation into his death. My question is “Who cares?”

Castro’s demise reminds me of that old joke. Say something good about him. He’s dead.

That’s good.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio is demanding an investigation into his death as well as the question of other inmates getting the mental-health treatment they may need.

Christine Link is the executive director of the A.C.L.U. of Ohio. Upon hearing about Castro’s suicide, she said “As horrifying as Mr. Castro’s crimes may be, the state has a responsibility to ensure his safety from himself and others.”

I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net telling you that I have a lot of friends, including many attorneys, who refuse to donate to the A.C.L.U. Ms. Link has just given us one of their reasons why they won’t give a dime.

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.

Iron Lady from Bay Ridge says:
The clanging you heard was the sound of the gates of hell closing behind castro as he entered down below. My only regret is that this pile of human waste didn't suffer enough before leaving this earth.
Sept. 17, 2013, 8:23 am
Herbie from Bergen Beach says:
I agree with you. Let's worry about our own first. Don't worry about the world's opinion of the U.S. We will be back on top in three years when the buffoon in the White House is out of office.
Sept. 18, 2013, 1:15 pm
Ed Stein from Brighton Beach says:
One reason to be humane to criminal a**holes is so that we do not become the same. That is why we do not whip and beat murderers, rapists, etc.
Unfortunately it is too late for Stan, Iron Lady and Herbie.
Sept. 22, 2013, 9:19 am
Bluestocking from Gerritsen Beach says:
To Ed Stein:
Duh? Are you inferring that Stan, Iron Lady and Herbie are not humane? If I had sentenced Castro (and other murderers too) I'd put him/them in a cage and allow Nature to take over, through the cold, rain, snow, etc. Why waste tax dollars on them? Ed Stein, when folks watch murder mysteries on TV, does the audience also become killers? Of course not. Upbringing has a lot to do with how adults behave toward others, I do believe. I also believe there should be a tattoo code imprinted on cheeks and/or foreheads of all horrendous offenders--each symbol would stand for a specific crime...proven murderers, rapists, etc.
Sept. 22, 2013, 1:43 pm
Stan from Courier Life says:
Bluestocking -- Don't try to reason with the likes of Ed Stein. Look where his type of worthless turnstile justice has gotten us. The mugged older folks are still in the hospital while the perp is back out on the streets. The rap sheets on the garbage who receive nothing more than slaps on the wrist are as long as your arm. If you want less crime then it is imperative that a message of more punishment must be sent.
Your thoughts on a tattoo code are excellent.... but, with this ACLU protecting the gangsters, it'll never happen.
Thank you for your intelligent comment.
Stan
Sept. 22, 2013, 3:40 pm
Ed Stein from Brighton Beach says:
Dear Bluestocking et al -
I see your point and raise you Thumbscrews, hot Rectum Pokers, Rack, Wheel and the Iron Maiden. Indeed, why waste $$ on criminals? Let's save even more and do away with courts ! Why waste the money?!

Surely, accusations are enough!

Bring back Judge Lynch and use torture for the ones we really don't like. "Try 'em and kill 'em" I say. and don't be lilly livered about it!
Make 'em suffer.

If we get a few innocents, well... that's the price we pay for democracy !
Sept. 23, 2013, 5:54 pm