Today’s news:

Marine Park Halloween Walk canceled!

Brooklyn Daily

Sorry kids, Halloween isn’t happening this year.

The Marine Park Civic Association has announced that there will be no Halloween Walk this year on account of the civic’s first-ever lawsuit.

“The Halloween Walk is off,” said president Jim Ivaliotis at the public meeting on Sept. 17. “It’s a result of us being sued, the first time in 29 years.”

Kids in Marine Park have grown up with the Halloween Walk, which began as a spooky night-time stroll through the park’s wooded trails, but evolved into a day-time event with costumed volunteers, contests, and candy.

Matthew Hosty, 18, grew up on Stuart Street and has attended every Halloween Walk since he was 13-years-old, and eventually began volunteering as the “Wolfman” three years ago.

He was shocked to hear that the heavily attended Marine Park tradition has been canceled.

“Yeah, I’m upset,” he said. “It was so much fun. A lot of people go, I couldn’t even give you a number.”

The civic association’s officers are staying mum on the details of the suit, except to say that it was filed in June this year and that it stemmed from an incident in October 2012.

The lawsuit was the primary reason for canceling the Halloween Walk, although financial concerns factored into the decision, according to Ivaliotis.

“It’s not purely monetary, but that’s a big part of it. In case this thing goes far, and we have to entertain more legal representation than just the insurance company lawyers representing us, there’s going to be a large cost of event insurance,” Ivaliotis said. “It’s too risky to do it and we had to make that decision.”

That being said, Ivaliotis is reluctant to institute a fee to attend the event, which the civic has provided free of charge since its debut.

“I’m really sorry,” said Ivaliotis. “This had become an institution, but it has to pass this year.”

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Ann Winters from Marine Park says:
My children enjoyed this event so very much and I was looking forward to bring my grandchildren this year. It is unfortunate that some people look for monetary gain anywhere making the rest of us suffer. The walk will be sorely missed by those of us who have enjoyed it for the past 30 years.
Sept. 23, 2013, 10:50 am
Angela from Mill Basin says:
So upset to hear this :-( my son was sick last year so we coudn't go. Was hoping to bring him this year along with his 15 month old brother. :-(
Sept. 26, 2013, 11:19 am
mike from mill basin says:
What a shame. This side of Brooklyn does not have much to offer our kids. The haunted walk was a highlight for our family and many others. I hope next year they will re-instate it. I cannot believe someone is actually suing! Anyways, hope all goes well and Marine Park will continue to provide families in this neighborhood with family fun events. Happy Halloween everyone!
Oct. 31, 2013, 12:28 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group