CNN, FOX News, and Maria Bartiromo

Stan on Social Security, technology, and the beauty of Fox News

The Cable News Network just reported that Social Security benefits will rise 1.5 percent next year, making it one of the smallest annual cost-of-living increases ever. That number will add less than $20 a month for most of us older folks. They tell us that this very small escalation is largely due to extremely low inflation. According to our bean-counters, prices rose only 1.2 percent overall last year.

Really? Who are the people who come up with these statistics? Where do they shop?

I invite them to do a bit of food shopping at any Brooklyn supermarket.

• • •

Two cars collided and, obviously, not everyone was wearing a seat belt. Shortly after the auto accident, many who were nearby stopped to shoot photos of the gal who was thrown from her car. She was there on the ground, out cold, holding her cellphone. Nothing more needs be said.

• • •

Three of my granddaughters, ages 13, 15, and 18, were in the back seat of my car. They were very quiet because they were busy texting. Who were they texting? Each other! Wow. With all these modern gadgets around, teenagers no longer need the ability to talk!

• • •

All across this country there are cities and states that are on the verge of bankruptcy and who is being blamed? The unions and their overpaid, underworked employees along with exorbitant pensions. No! No! No! You really can’t blame labor for attempting to earn as much money and as many benefits for the membership that it can. Instead, you might want to take a swing at the short-sighted politicians that signed those contracts. They had to know that when the spit hit the fan, they would be long gone.

• • •

I love watching the most watched cable news network in the country, the Fox News Channel. I have a reader who always seems to gripe about Fox every time I mention it. At this moment, he is trembling with joy while attempting to form his usual negative comment. Note — I said “A” reader. A singular, one, unique, reader.

Oh, I know that we receive similar comments from several different folks. Shhh. Don’t tell anybody. It is the same guy writing under several different names. He thinks we don’t know. He also doesn’t know that his “mean-spirited” comments have cost him big time. Someday I will have the pleasure of meeting him and telling him what he lost.

I’m certain that right now some of you, not him, will really forward your comments to me. Please do. I welcome them. But please, tell me why you hate Fox.

And now, Maria Bartiromo, formerly of CNN and CNBC is the latest to jump ship. I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net applauding Fox as it continues to hire the most beautiful and the most intelligent women in the United States.

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.

Ed Stein says:
"Fox News" is not a news program. They present distortions. They badmouth when the other party does what "theirs" has been doing for decades. They are inconsistent, they fabricate, etc., etc.
I only use one name/address. (Sorry to disappoint you.)

"..their overpaid, underworked employees along with exorbitant pensions. No! No! No! You really can’t blame labor for attempting to earn as much money and as many benefits for the membership that it can. Instead, you might want to take a swing at the short-sighted politicians that signed those contracts."

Do the above comments apply to overpaid CEOs and similar who milk companies for 10's - 100's of millions in "compensation" even in those cases that the same companies lose big time. Do the above comments apply to the banks that caused the last depression and who gobbled a trillion dollars in taxpayer money to bail them out.
Do the above comments apply to the banks that now give 0.025% interest on deposits and charge 10% -25% interest to borrowers ? Remember when somebody who put money in a bank got paid interest to do so ?!?!

Now depositers pay to put $$ into their own account, pay to write a check, pay to use an ATM, pay to use a teller, etc. and "Stan the Man" is all for it and blames the unions!
Mean spirited, indeed. But not me.
Dec. 9, 2013, 5:56 am
Ed Stein from Brighton Beach says:
By the way, Stan...
I agree - many unions have overcharged for a long long time. Overpaid, underworked, etc., etc. But many have actually done no more than protect legitimate interests and given good value for the money they received. The trick is to distinguish which are which and not to blindly toss the baby out with the bath water.

But .. tell me ... how many CEOs and how many Wall Streeter staffers are really worth the $$ that they pull in? HOw many CEOs are really worth a MILLION BUCKS ... A DAY?? Or even per week? .. even per month ??

I'll tell you - less by far than receive that much.

While you are busy reducing the pay of those union members who *are* overpaid - I would expect that in fairness, you would work just as hard to reduce the pay of overpaid executives and directors and etc., who too, are overpaid for not a lot.
Dec. 9, 2013, 6:08 am
Marty from Dyker Heights says:
"Note — I said “A” reader. A singular, one, unique, reader."

Because the rest of us won't waste our time responding to the troglodyte columnists in this Murdoch "publication."
Dec. 9, 2013, 12:39 pm
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Marty.

Exactly. Fox News spreads hate and lies. That is their job.

and people who speak out are "mean-spirited” , that's funny.

But I do agree. I don't blame the Unions for getting the most for their workers, now to I blame the super rich 1% for taking the most for themselves. I do blame the elected for letting that happen.
Dec. 12, 2013, 6:09 am
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Marty.

Exactly. Fox News spreads hate and lies. That is their job.

and people who speak out are "mean-spirited” , that's funny.

Dec. 12, 2013, 6:09 am
Shad from Boerum Hill says:
I don't "hate" Fox News. They're a propaganda arm of the Republican Party, and they're entitled to their viewpoint - a viewpoint contrary to the governing administration which Mr. Gershbein called for the "execution" and "extermination" of all adherents prior to January 20, 2009. Mr. Gershbein also calls for the rape and murder of Malia and Sasha Obama.
Dec. 12, 2013, 3:06 pm
Ed Stein from Brighton Beach says:
Fox News is not a new program. It is as Shad mentioned, the propaganda arm of the GOP, Tea Party, Bros Koch and Murdoch (who paid good $$ to obtain his US citizenship). It would be OK if they were present news and editorialize about their viewpoints. It is NOT ok when they confuse the two and lie/distort the facts in order to adhere to a viewpoint.

They have a right to speak - even lies. But not to use the public airways for it. They do not serve the public and I for one would consider rescinding their license to so abuse a public resource.
Dec. 13, 2013, 4:53 am
Herb Schwartz from Brooklyn says:
FROM THE MOUTH OF THE LYING KING:

I will have the most transparent administration in history.
The stimulus will fund shovel-ready jobs.
I am focused like a laser on creating jobs.
The IRS is not targeting anyone.
It was a spontaneous riot about a movie.
If I had a son.
I will put an end to the type of politics that "breeds division, conflict and cynicism".
You didn't build that!
I will restore trust in Government.
The Cambridge cops acted stupidly.
The public will have 5 days to look at every bill that lands on my desk
It's not my red line - it is the world's red line.
Whistle blowers will be protected in my administration.
We got back every dime we used to rescue the banks and auto companies, with interest.
I am not spying on American citizens.
ObamaCare will be good for America
You can keep your family doctor.
Premiums will be lowered by $2500.
If you like it, you can keep your current healthcare plan
It's just like shopping at Amazon
I knew nothing about "Fast and Furious" gunrunning to Mexican drug cartels
I knew nothing about IRS targeting conservative groups
I knew nothing about what happened in Benghazi
I have never met my uncle from Kenya who is in the country illegally and that was arrested and told to leave the country over 20 years ago
And, I have never lived with that uncle. (He finally admitted today, (12-05-2013) that he DID know his uncle and that he DID live with him.

And the biggest one of all:
"I, Barrack Hussein Obama, pledge to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America."
Dec. 14, 2013, 1:02 pm
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Herb

any facts to back up your hate? Or do you just copy from Fox?
Dec. 17, 2013, 5:24 pm